Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha moX

Emaj7

Seems like an attempt to me:

Yes indeed, thanks for the link.

It's a shame that functionality couldn't be included in the board itself for gigging (but understandable).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Organ is one of the hardest things to judge from a compressed YouTube video, but it does sound more organic than the built-in organs, if only in terms of the Leslie emulation.

It's nice to have the dedicated controller aspect for the "soft synth". I know a lot of us here may find this less appealing due to already having other options, but for someone just starting out, this "extra feature" is definitely a strong selling point. Or even for those who want to "upgrade" from a standard MIDI controller. It's not like this costs all that much more than lower-featured keys anyway.

Although I got burnt bad by Cubase AI4 (on the Mac, I should point out), I have heard that these latest versions of Steinberg software products being rolled out, finally have the Yamaha stamp on them in terms of that company's dedication to robustness and Mac-friendliness. So I keep an open mind about this new generation of Cubase-integrated Yamaha products.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hmmm.... YC 3B is software only. It looks interesting (sort of )

But I am at a loss as to WHY this is not integrated into the hardware of the keyboard.

Perhaps it was easier to get a a readout of the drawbars on a computer screen.

Hoping some of the sounds can be saved into the MOX though.

I spent all of about 5 minutes playing the Motif XF. I hope the MoX isn't more of the same. But, I wouldn't expect anything less from Yamaha. We'll see. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hmmm.... YC 3B is software only. It looks interesting (sort of )

But I am at a loss as to WHY this is not integrated into the hardware of the keyboard.

The MOX is based on the Motif XS, which did not have YC3B functionality. Nothing in the ROM and architecture of the XS provides the foundation for it.

Perhaps it was easier to get a a readout of the drawbars on a computer screen.

Hoping some of the sounds can be saved into the MOX though

The YC3B software isn't just providing an interface... the sound engine itself is implemented in the computer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm surprised; it's not new technology, just repackaged XS sounds. Could have sworn someone else mentioned a July release date for the US, but hey... rumors abound.

:snax:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

by synthoide:

I'm surprised; it's not new technology, just repackaged XS sounds.

I'm not. But an 88 key synth with 8 element XS sounds for a MAP of $1699 is pretty attractive, old technology or not.

My ES8 is even older technology but it still plays and sounds great.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Does anyone know when the MOX will be shipping to dealers?

For what it's worth, Sweetwater tells me they expect to have the MOX8 in May. I didn't ask about the 6.

by synthoid:

I'm surprised; it's not new technology, just repackaged XS sounds.

I'm not. But an 88 key synth with 8 element XS sounds for a MAP of $1699 is pretty attractive, old technology or not.

No, Mike.... I meant October seemed like a long time for release (read Emaj7's post).

:cool:

I'm betting the German store is saying that it will arrive in May... :idea::whistle:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Does anyone know when the MOX will be shipping to dealers?

A german music store says 10.05.2011.

Never rely on availability dates from retailers. :snax:

October 5th is a long, long time from now.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Um, hello?

I'm betting the German store is saying that it will arrive in May... :idea::whistle:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

by synthoid:

No, Mike.... I meant October seemed like a long time for release (read Emaj7's post).

Oh, sorry. I'm usually a little slow, and on Monday I'm worse. :bor::P

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

There's a rumor going around that the new MoX series was actually completed last year but not introduced until now. If that is indeed true... makes you wonder.

I'm sure there is a reason for this.. They had to release the motif xf first. The motif xf has many of the same capabilities/sounds at a more expensive price (of course, along with a workstation built in). The mox is supposed to serve to the people who want something more convenient for lugging around...and not a 60 lb workstation like the motif xf (like I currently am). It's a little pricey, but it is still affordable. I think the only difference and addition between the motif xf and the mox is the YC-3B organ sound that it now has.

It's hard to tell through the videos posted. But what do you guys think of the organ YC-3B's overall sound quality?

Does anyone know any other main differences of the capabilities/ sounds between the motif xf and the mox?

Motif XF8, August Forster, Takamine, Korg Triton

I think the only difference and addition between the motif xf and the mox is the YC-3B organ sound that it now has.

It's hard to tell through the videos posted. But what do you guys think of the organ YC-3B's overall sound quality?

The organ is a VSTi and not part of the MOX itself.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

There's a rumor going around that the new MoX series was actually completed last year but not introduced until now. If that is indeed true... makes you wonder.

I'm sure there is a reason for this.. They had to release the motif xf first.

I don't think the XF "had" to be released first, the market is different, and the biggest new feature of the XF, the flash, doesn't exist in the MOX. I don't see why they couldn't have been released together if they were both ready. I don't think the MOX would have stolen XF sales. Even if they wanted each to not have to share the PR spotlight when announced (a dubious but not impossible speculation), they wouldn't have had to have been separated by 8 months.

If they delayed the MOX introduction (and I have no idea whether they did), I would think it would have had nothing to do with the XF, but rather that they may have still had a good inventory of XS and/or MO, and they wanted that to dwindle a bit before introducing something that would likely cut into their sales of those remaining units. I think an MOX would have had more impact on XS or MO sales than it would have on the new XF.

The motif xf has many of the same capabilities/sounds at a more expensive price (of course, along with a workstation built in).

The MOX has workstation functions built in as well.

Does anyone know any other main differences of the capabilities/ sounds between the motif xf and the mox?

The keybed for the MOX 61 is a new design. Some common live performance functions look simpler, with the dedicated split, layer, and transpose buttons. The XF, of course, has a lot that the MOX does not have, including the extra sounds and custom sound loading provided via the flash RAM, the large screen, aftertouch, assignable outs, twice the polyphony, ribbon, assignable faders, sampling, and a bunch of other stuff...

If they delayed the MOX introduction (and I have no idea whether they did), I would think it would have had nothing to do with the XF, but rather that they may have still had a good inventory of XS and/or MO, and they wanted that to dwindle a bit before introducing something that would likely cut into their sales of those remaining units. I think an MOX would have had more impact on XS or MO sales than it would have on the new XF.

That makes the most sense.

Like I said, the information I heard was just a rumor and hasn't surfaced elsewhere.

Archived