Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best ARP virtual?

BP3

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TimeWARP 2600 is the best, and the most authentic. The Arturia one can be nice too and has more features, but you can sort of get there by adding the cheap KikAxxe to the TimeWARP 2600.

The ARP Odyssey was nice in its own right, but I'm not sure there's anything you can do with it that you can't also do with the 2600 semi-modular. But having said that, I was impressed by Creamware/Plugiator's Odyssey tribute. The one from G-Force wasn't very close sound-wise, but had a nice interface.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I was impressed by Creamware/Plugiator's Odyssey tribute. The one from G-Force wasn't very close sound-wise, but had a nice interface.

I tried ´em all, but having Scope DSP w/ Minimax and Prodyssey is the closest to hardware,- soundwise and latency wise.

Oddity is good as well is Minimonsta, but Prodyssey and Minimax are better.

That´s the small synths of ARP and MOOG.

If someone wants the modular route,- Modular III in Scope v4 w/ Flexor modules and/ or Modular IV (option) do the trick.

You´d get all sounds out of it you expect from Moog or ARP modulars.

There are 2 ways to get this:

1.)

Buy a used Creamware 14 or 15 DSP card for ~ 500.- and upgrade Scope to version 5.1 for EUR 239.- ( no idea what the dollars are).

You need no specific licences for the plugs.

By sending the serial number and keyfile you already have or get w/ the used card,- you´ll get the full range of the new plugins incl. in Scope 5.1 and new keyfiles.

Only Prodyssey is a separate product to pay.

2.)

If you can afford it,- buy Sonic Core Xite-1D or Xite-1 and have it all w/ latest OS and plugins,- buy Prodyssey in addition.

Sonic Core Xites come w/ PCIe or PCIexpress34 cards alternately.

Excellent solution, replacing most VSTi synths you own, hardware mixer and FX,- all connected to a laptop or rackmount DAW, running your other VST stuff and host.

Sonic Core DSP plugins come w/ VST dlls to integrate in your VST DAW if you want.

That way, you can run SCOPE live as a instruments rack, mixer and FX simultaneously w/ VSTis and/or as your virtual studio environment.

S/C Xite is all,- your latency free audio/MIDI card, your balanced analog and digital I/Os, your DSPs calculating the plugs and in case of Xite-1 (not D) your mic pres,- all in excellent quality and in a 1 HU unit in excellent build quality.

I´m saving money to buy it and I have the 15 DSP Creamware card and the experience to be sure it will be a good buy for the future.

The only alternative thinkable synth wise and as a DSP solution,- John Bowen Solaris.

A.C.

The only alternative thinkable synth wise and as a DSP solution,- John Bowen Solaris.

When will that ever be available?

Soon,- it´s manufacured in germany at Sonic Core and the model for the shops will appear on Frankfurt Musikmesse.

Preorders are closed for 2nd production run already and I expect to see it in stores in autumn.

The preordered ones go out 1st.

I´m actually not sure if it has ARP filter emulations NOW,- but it´s the technology which could run those.

Solaris will be continousely improved and I wait for it being 4x multitimbral and don´t expect it to be before end of year.

A.C.

If you're man or sissy (I still don't know..) enough to work on Linux, there's the Bristol (see Google, it;s Open Source software) software synth simulations, which contain ARP simulation too and has nice graphics where knobs can be MIDI automated. Luckily they don't suffer from the cheesy and unvarying (read "variations but some things always the suck the same way") "plugin sound" effect, though probably the accuracy wrt the original varies per simulation.

I could put that in a DSP and get a working machine out of that. I've done that before with my own analog simulation design!

The new version of Arturia's emu is said to be a big improvement. The first version had aliasing issues and sounded a bit derived from the other TAE synths. I have V2 of Jupiter-8V and CS-80V and both are a huge step beyond the V1's. I sold my entire V1 collection and replaced the two specific V2's that are unique, and use them a lot. So probably Arturia's ARP V2 is pretty good. But the TimeWARP 2600 is so perfect, it's top of my VI list.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived