Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Privia Velocity problem: hardware defect?

Root

Hi all. Having problems with a PX-130 and wondering if anybody else has had the same problem.

A friend of mine recently purchased a Casio Priva PX-130 for her kids on my recommendation. I had the occasion to play it recently and noticed a strange problem. Once in a while, while playing many notes at a time, certain notes will sound at MAXIMUM velocity and volume. I believe it is only the D, Eb, E, and F right above middle C that do this. It is an occasional occurrence, but it is very distracting to have an occasional note sound WAY louder than all the others.

Has anyone else had this problem? I thought it might be a software bug, but a search for such a bug hasn't turned up any results for me. Maybe we need to return it to Musicians Friend as defective hardware.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's dirt/grime/dust/gunk in or around the key contacts.

This topic has been discussed here. A search may yield positive results.

I would also check out YouTube to see if someone has produced a video showing the disassembly of this keyboard.

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

As my grandpappy used to say, you get what you pay for. :snax:

Yeah, well for $500, I don't think it's too much to ask for a piano that works well enough for a 10 year old to learn on. I know it's not pro gear. Thanks for the unhelpful comment though.

+1 on the contacts diagnosis. If it was purchased new have her call Musician's Friend and see if they'll swap it for a new one. This is a common problem on some boards and it can't hurt to ask. Otherwise it should be returned for repair as it makes no sense to self-repair a unit that is still under warranty.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I wonder if something was spilled by one of the kids. If not, I'd definitely go for the warranty thing or contact Casio directly. You might try that anyway.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna tell her to try blasting it with a can of air to see if that fixes it, and if not, try and get a new one. Provided nothing was spilled in it of course...

If something was spilled in it you could try cleaning it out. I can't speak for disassembly of that particular model, but if you're handy you can give it a shot. There have been discussions here about how to clean contacts on a keyboard, hopefully the Casio uses a similar mechanism. You might also try a broader web search on the subject.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Root,

As it has been pointed out, this sounds like a key contact problem. As it has also been mentioned things getting in the keyboard (liquid, dirt) are generally the cause of such a problem.

Regardless, you can try contacting Musician's Friend but you can also have a Casio warranty repair center fix it for you.

http://www.casio.com/support/musicservicecenters

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

+1 on the quality of Casio support - Mike was very helpful with a broken faceplate on my PX330 and directed me to my local Casio center in NJ where it got fixed (out of warranty) for very little money.
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Archived