Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: Meat cutters

Pale

Do you have a meat slicer at home? The one with circular blade?

Well, don't use them without that extension thingy that's used to protect your fingers. Why, you ask? The day before yesterday I was in a rush and didn't bother to assemble the slicer (I keep it stored) since I was just going to cut a few slices of ham. Somehow the blade pulled the ham and with ham my right hand thumb and index finger. My thumb got just a scratch, but I managed to cut sideways into my index finger, 3-4mm deep. It took 2h to stop the bleeding, and it was still bleeding a bit yesterday morning. Fortunately the cutter has a safety mechanism that stops the blade if you lift your hand off the button.

I can't do glissandos. Playing is painful and despite being careful I manage to hit the wound every now and then. I had a rehearsal I couldn't skip yesterday and I managed to make it bleed again. I hope it will heal soon since I have a gig tomorrow.

Moral of the story: always use the slicers carefully. I was lucky it was on thin setting, could've been bread or something thick.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...could've been bread or something thick.
- like George W Bush ?... that'd have been useful some years ago !

Man walks into a butchers shop and asks : "Where's your assistant ?".

Butcher : "I sacked him".

Man asks : "Sacked him ? - why ?".

Butcher : "He kept sticking his dick in the bacon slicer".

Man, shocked, says : "Where's your bacon slicer ?".

Butcher : "I had to sack her as well". :D

Seriously though Pale, look after that injury as best you can - hope it heals soon.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

A few years ago, I was cutting up stuff for dinner. I was cutting the carrots by splitting them lengthwise. One carrot rolled as I applied pressure with the knife, and the knife dropped into the tip of my middle finger.

To keep this short, I had to get stitches. Like you, I thought I had it under control a few times, but the fact that it kept opening back up told me otherwise. If you can't keep it closed, you probably need to have it sewn up.

I hope whatever course you take, it heals soon. And be careful in the future, okay?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Those meat cutters are brutal. When I managed a supermarket in 1988 late one night our deli guy cut is hard real bad on one of those.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Pale, sounds like you may need to go to the doctor. Don't mess with that stuff.

For sure. My wife and I have friends that are paramedics--they see similar injuries all the time. Better to receive proper care.

I almost cut the tip of one of my fingers off a couple years ago. (I own a small graphic design and sign business, and was cutting vinyl). Fortunately, I was able to get the bleeding stopped... thank God, because I had a band rehearsal 2 hours later.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Thanks for your concern guys, but I think I'll be allright. It's too late to treat it after 3 days anyway. Wound and skin around it already hardened and the "lid" connected to the rest of my finger. I believe I will be gig ready by tomorrow, if I take measures in form of bandage/band aids. And if I manage to keep away from keys, which will be hard since yesterday I bought a small Carvin tube amp for my Rhodes. I'm itching to try it out. :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Archived