Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Music Worth Listening To

As wave after wave of new releases consisting of recycled catalog material is released, I thought a thread where we could point out NEW and WORTHWHILE music is in order. I'd love to see really recent stuff here - like no more than 3 years old. Point out a band that others may have never heard about, point out something new and fresh and innovative. Above all, give everyone here alternatives to supporting bad habits of the major labels.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of my favorites from the past few years... The Rapture - "Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks" Sort of The Cure meets Gang of Four meets disco Blonde Redhead - "Fake Can Be Just as Good," "In an Expression of the Inexpressible" A few years old now, but I just discovered them... artsy noise rock, often compared to early Sonic Youth Shellac - "1000 Hurts" Kick-arse rock band fronted by indie legend Steve Alini. "1000 Hurts" was released in 2000, and its opening track is a *classic*. Their best album, IMO, is 1994's "At Action Park." Low - "Things We Lost in the Fire" Slow, melodic, melancholy, beautiful Sigur Ros - "Ágætis Byrjun" and "()" Spacy, atmospheric modern prog-rock

Here are a few currently living on my iPod: Bettie Serveert - Private Suit Blur - Think Tank The Coral - The Coral DJ Shadow - Private Press Doves - The Last Broadcast Grand Drive - True Love & High Adventure Grandaddy - Sumday Mercury Rev - All is Dream Radiohead - ail to the Thief Royksopp - Melody A.M. The Strokes - Room on Fire Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I'm hearing more and more about the Rapture. I'm going to check it out. I'm also hearing really great things about Basement Jaxx's new CD, Kish Kash. A change of direction for them, I keep hearing Parliament and Prince referred to... could be interesting. There are some best-ofs that I'm definitely going to buy (Depeche Mode 101 DVD release, Tori Amos best of, Peter Gabriel best of), but I'm making it a personal policy now to support new music too - I'm going to buy at least one new artist CD for every old artist CD I buy.

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]Here are a few currently living on my iPod: Bettie Serveert - Private Suit Blur - Think Tank The Coral - The Coral DJ Shadow - Private Press Doves - The Last Broadcast Grand Drive - True Love & High Adventure Grandaddy - Sumday Mercury Rev - All is Dream Radiohead - ail to the Thief Royksopp - Melody A.M. The Strokes - Room on Fire Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon[/b][/quote]I think it says a whole lot about Rog that he listed his selection in alphabetical order. The first thing it says to me is that he is a whole lot more organized than me.
I really don't know what to put here.

Kin Za Za limited, special edition CD/DVD (in USA released by NARADA). I don't remember the albums title (I'm in my office) The packaging, production quality and musicianship are simply incredible. Not a second of crap.Everything about this album shows it to be a labour of passion: the super focused acoustic guitars, the ethereal vocals and tons of intelligent videos (DVD)...sounds like a gentle mix between Tory Amos, Massive Attack, Dead Can Dance, Eno and Sarah McLachlan.

[quote]Originally posted by The Dragon Reborn: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]Here are a few currently living on my iPod: Bettie Serveert - Private Suit Blur - Think Tank The Coral - The Coral DJ Shadow - Private Press Doves - The Last Broadcast Grand Drive - True Love & High Adventure Grandaddy - Sumday Mercury Rev - All is Dream Radiohead - ail to the Thief Royksopp - Melody A.M. The Strokes - Room on Fire Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon[/b][/quote]I think it says a whole lot about Rog that he listed his selection in alphabetical order. The first thing it says to me is that he is a whole lot more organized than me.[/b][/quote]I've my iPod to thank for that :)
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Archived