Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: School band plays Rage Against the Machine

gryphon

I don't remember this being posted here, so sorry if it's a dupe. This used to be on youtube but has been deleted. Here it is on break. Sorry, no way to embed it here I don't think. (Give it a minute to load).

http://www.break.com/index/head-banging-school-band-plays-rage-against-the-machine-2010668

The girl in the red is really getting into it.

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the fact that I cannot (for some bizarre reason) get anything but a black screen from that link, I have to venture a comment:

If they executed the medley in an interesting fashion, it can't be worse than the damned college bands playing the Star Wars "Death Star Theme" every time the opponent gets in the red zone.... :D

Despite the fact that I cannot (for some bizarre reason) get anything but a black screen from that link
It has to load all the way before it starts playing. If you are on a slow connection, let it load in another window.

Okay, never mind, I found another person who uploaded it to youtube. If you want, check it out before it's gone. Again.

[video:youtube]

Actually, that is pretty freakin' awesome, in my opinion.

I was in a couple of cover bands that did both those pieces - serious energy there, hard to resist the groove.

Now, what the local PD thinks of them celebrating a song that is a complete f*** you to cops as a whole (those who die are justified by wearing the badge and the chosen white) is another matter entirely...

I could, considering how many hard rock tunes have been incorporated into college band repertoires over the last few years. "Seven Nation Army" has become a virtual staple in most college bands. It's actually refreshing to hear something divergent, in comparison to most college acts.

When one frames it against most H.S. bands, this is WAYYYYY out there, and I love the risk taking....

I really love how so many of them are just grooving incredibly to it as well. Flashbacks to Uriah Heep's Salisbury there....

I agree with you both, and it's actually enjoyable. even though RATM is not my cup of tea, i played both songs in cover bands and you just can't stop from moving and swinging and jumping around.

by the way,I LOVE Salisbury!

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

IMO, best thing that band ever did.... ;)

+1000 a favorite of mine too. That's the bad thing about not being around in the early 70's when they performed that (if they ever performed it live, not sure). IMO, Look at yourself and Salisbury (the albums, not the songs) had the best organ and guitar work they ever did.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

+1000 a favorite of mine too. That's the bad thing about not being around in the early 70's when they performed that (if they ever performed it live, not sure). IMO, Look at yourself and Salisbury (the albums, not the songs) had the best organ and guitar work they ever did.

Yeah, they tried to go concept with D&W and Birthday, but it was total cheese compared to the fluidity and organic nature of Salisbury (the track). Same goes in large part with the songwriting - seemed like Lee was constantly chasing that #1 hit with some of the junk he threw out there as short songs during the 70's, rather than just allowing the band to develop material of its own.

Yeah, they tried to go concept with D&W and Birthday, but it was total cheese compared to the fluidity and organic nature of Salisbury (the track). Same goes in large part with the songwriting - seemed like Lee was constantly chasing that #1 hit with some of the junk he threw out there as short songs during the 70's, rather than just allowing the band to develop material of its own.

:thu: Agree. D&W and Birthday and even RTF still have some goods songs in there, but nothing compared to what they did before, he should've let it flow. you should check out his solo albums, the first two are as good as anything he did in UH.

I remember a few years ago, i knew how to play both albums in its entirely, both the organ and guitar parts. it felt great to play Salisbury (the song), can't say i still remember how to do it, good times though.

Flashbacks to Uriah Heep's Salisbury
Aahhh! The first concert I ever attended. Uriah Heep, Chicago Auditorium. 1970, I had just turned 14. Or perhaps it was 1971 and I had just turned 15. So much back then is a fog!

Archived