Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Action Like V-Piano

Ellington

I love the keys and action of the V-Piano, and I'm wondering what other keyboards have the same or similar action.The fewer bells and whistles, the better, as I'm really looking to use it as a master controller.

What should I be looking at? I'm open to used discontinued models.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D-Bon, not quite.

PHA III - (Ivory Feel + Escapement)

V-Piano

RD-700NX

FP-7F

PHA II (Ivory Feel + Escapement)

RD-700GX

FP-7

PHA II (Ivory Feel; No Escapement)

Fantom G-8

Ivory Feel-G keyboard with escapement

RD-300NX

PHA alpha II Keyboard (No Ivory Feel, No Escapement)

RD-300GX

FP-4

I haven't played the III and II actions enough side-by-side to be able to determine if there's that big a difference. The 300 and FP4 series have different actions which are lighter to the touch and physically lighter as well, but the touch is quite a bit different than the full PHA actions.

Busch.

According to Roland:

RD-700GX = PHA II Ivory Feel Keyboard with Escapement

RD-300GX = PHA alpha II (no mention of escapement)

RD-300NX = Ivory Feel-G keyboard

FP-7F = PHA III Ivory Feel-S Keyboard with Escapement

So they all seem to differ in some manner. Weird.

Moe

---

The RD-700s make excellent controllers with four zones, multiple MIDI outs, USB MIDI out, etc. If you are gigging take a closer look at the RD300NX (just announced) as it saves you 20 lbs. The RD300s are somewhat less capable as controllers and, as I pointed out before the actions are quite different. I have not played the RD300NX yet.

Busch.

The difference between the V-Piano, RD-700NX, and FP-7F is subtle, if there's any difference at all.

Actually, the feel of the keys themselves is the biggest difference; the V-Piano has a more 'porous' feel to it, like a nice old ivory keytop; the RD700NX and FP7F feel 'smoother'.

Again, this is just about the key texture, not the weight/speed of the action; those are pretty much identical (played a 700NX and V-Piano side by side a few times this past week).

Also, I believe there is a difference, albeit subtle, between the actions on the RD700NX and the FP7-F, with the latter's keys being of one-piece plastic, while the NX's keys are composite in construction. How much difference that actually makes to the feel, I'm unable to comment, having played neither at this point.

Sorry, Dana!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived