Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP - Gerry Rafferty

02R96

Scottish singer/songwriter Gerry Rafferty has died. Rafferty was known for his work in the soft-rock duo Stealers Wheel, whose "Stuck in the Middle With You" was infamously used at the climax of Quentin Tarantino's 1992 debut feature film Reservoir Dogs. Rafferty also maintained a successful solo career highlighted by the 1978 single "Baker Street". His last solo album, Another World, was released in 2000; since then, he had kept a low profile.

Rafferty's family tells The Guardian that he died at home peacefully with his daughter Martha this morning after "a long illness." He was 63.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkS169P_Eeo

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear this. Rafferty & I were contemporaries in the Paisley music scene - same age. I first came across him when he was front for The Maverix and they & my band (The Original Corvettes - search for them on Youtube) appeared in the local Renfrewshire heats of the Daily Record MacBeat Competition (Scotland's answer to The Beatles!!!) in Paisley Town Hall in, I think, 1964 where they won the heat & we didn't(!).

He undoubtably felt the influence of his environment especially in Stealer's Wheel album 'Ferguslie Park' (where I taught for several years).

My last info was from a mutual friend who told me that his health was 'wrecked', but I hadn't realised it was that far gone.

RIP Gerry.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I didn't know a lot of his musical career. But growing up in the late 70's(around 13yrsold), I will never forget hearing "Baker Street" played what seemed to be constantly (on the radio) each long summers day. Cool memory. Cool song.

Rest in peace

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

R.I.P. Gerry

"We're just musician's.....here to thin the thickness of your skin." - Max Webster

I didn't know a lot of his musical career. But growing up in the late 70's(around 13yrsold), I will never forget hearing "Baker Street" played what seemed to be constantly (on the radio) each long summers day. Cool memory. Cool song.

Rest in peace

Yep, Baker Street and Al Stewart's Year of The Cat and Time Passages, and Sultans of Swing all really grabbed me when they'd come on the radio. They were more than singles, they were like little worlds or movies full of atmosphere that I experienced in many ways other than just hearing them.

Archived