Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Corvus

GreySeraph

I swear I'm gonna snag me one of these... :)

[video:youtube]

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really excellent demo. The all black config does look good and it really does sound nice. All the bits seem to fit ergonomically. What does it weigh and how well does it balance because it LOOKSs like it could be a bit neck-heavy...
Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

The chicken pickin' he did made it sound more like a B-Bender Tele than a Strat. You'd have to be an extreme Gibson fan AND Fender hater to choose one over a Strat for the sake of S-S-S configuration, but it could be a cool niche product in a large arsenal of guitars. The shape is....different - too different to have done meaningful damage to Strat sales, as history has shown. It's rare because nobody bought enough to sustain production. The owner's statement that he wouldn't accept 300 original '58 and '59 LP's in trade for it almost made me choke! There's no danger of anyone calling that bluff! But, I'd like to wring one out sometime!
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I had one, not long ago - a real what-were-they-thinking piece. Low output pup's, bolt-on maple neck, and no body mass to speak of. They routed out most of the area behind the pickguard to accept all three pup configurations - 1 HB, 2 HB's & 3 SC's. The best thing about it - bought it for $150, and sold it for $400. IIRC, they're up around $500-600 now. Pawn shops & yard sales are your best bet to find one cheap.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I should point out that the guy doing the vid was bounced out of the Les Paul Forum for being a true knob:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168276

He can really play, just not with others.....

that just killed any respect i had for that video...what a dumbass. The guitar seems interesting still though :(

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I can't say much about the way it looks. I like THIS ONE.

Looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Strat & a Mosrite.

I kinda like that, myself- but did ya get a load of the wacky write-up posted with it?! Who comes up with this bizarro dumb-@$$3d stuff?! :freak:

I should point out that the guy doing the vid was bounced out of the Les Paul Forum for being a true knob:

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168276

He can really play, just not with others.....

Guilty pleasure admission: too funny! That thread made for some entertaining reading... telling Elliot Easton, "Type my name anywhere and I'll show up before you do...Really do your research before you address me at all"... "I can make any guitar you hand me sound better than the guy who played it 5 seconds before"... "you...are scum and I don't wish for you to address me again. I am here for the real people. Your number of posts prove that you have no life or better place to be, so you sit at the computer talking about your amazing selves. So, I thought I would simply inform you of how amazing I am too. Only thing is that in my case it's true. Later tripping one and fat one"... "google me....then you may kiss my ring"... !! :freak::D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I kinda like that, myself- but did ya get a load of the wacky write-up posted with it?! Who comes up with this bizarro dumb-@$$3d stuff?! :freak:

From the eBay ad:

"Be warned if buying this for a Christmas present you should understand that this guitar is for advanced guitarists with high levels of technique."

Or gullibility.

Scott Fraser

From the eBay ad:

"Be warned if buying this for a Christmas present you should understand that this guitar is for advanced guitarists with high levels of technique."

Or gullibility.

Yeah, we don't want newbs injuring themselves! :facepalm::D

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I liked the thing. I would prefer HSS pup config, but this is a decent instrument. However I would not replace my Agile Strat clone with one of those simply because both would do the same thing, and I already own the Agile. I don't need any more guitars.

I can't say much about the way it looks. I like THIS ONE.

Looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Strat & a Mosrite.

Well yeah, that's true, but somebody has to love the poor, unloved, misbegotten, disowned love children of ill-conceived luthiery experimentation...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

the Yamaha sc600 is uber cool. i would love to have one as well as a SGV800. i did find the sellers write up to be full of it. as a Yammy fan there is no "speed neck" to my knowledge.

the basic body shape dates back to Yamaha's SG5 in the mid 60's.

they have used it as recently as the SGV300 and 800. but the last sighting of the SG5 shape ( not the SG's that threatened the Les Paul) was in a low end three single coiled entry model a few years back.

here you go Picker, this you will like...

SGV800

That's a truly original body shape. Nice to see something which deviates from the Strat/Tele/LP mold. Very cool, actually much more visually appealing for me than the Corvus, which just has outrightly awkward lines. The Yamaha is curvy & sexy.

Scott Fraser

they made those in metallic black, red and blue. the sister model had three ferite magnet single coils and had a cool yellow on top of the other colors. that was the SGV300. it had regular tuners and a flat headstock and zero neck binding.

SGV300

you can still find these on Fleabay.

i wish i could snag one locally. one of my favorite dream guitars.

here you go Picker, this you will like...

SGV800

That's a truly original body shape. Nice to see something which deviates from the Strat/Tele/LP mold. Very cool, actually much more visually appealing for me than the Corvus, which just has outrightly awkward lines. The Yamaha is curvy & sexy.

That's the girl for me! :thu::rawk:

Supah Doopah :cool: ... !

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/images2/peterboyle.jpg

http://arkay.de/guitars/yamaha/sgv800_01.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived