Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talkbox mic

Nillerbabs

Hey.

So, now that I settled on not getting a Kurz, that one's off my list, and I'm ready to move to the next purchase in line :crazy:

I have a gig coming up, where some friends and I will be more or less loosely covering radio hits from now to back then. The drummer, with whom I also play in another band, has a burning desire for one of those pads that lets him play all sorts of wacky samples, and we made a pact to max out the cheese factor - so I too will be outliving a dream: getting a talkbox.

I think I'll just go Banshee (any reasons to go 2 instead of 1?), and I need a mic that will serve well for both vocal and talkbox. I'm not gonna toss a lot of money at this, and I don't crave the perfect sound that I like to hear from my keyboards - I'm not that much of a singer, anyway :)

Any suggestions?

/ Niels

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any decent mic will do. I have the banshee 1 and its all anyone needs. What is more important is the sound source, keyboard, guitar, ?
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Banshee talkbox SUCKS! Sorry but it does... Don't get it. No bottom end and the highend sounds like a big swarm of pissed off bees.

As far as mics go, use a 57. The 58 sound about the same, but I've been shocked by it when I play the talkbox enough times to just buy my own 57. Another good reason to use a 57 (especially if you decide to go with the Banshee anyway since the volume is to low) is that it more directional and pics up less of the other sounds...

Hey.

So, now that I settled on not getting a Kurz, that one's off my list, and I'm ready to move to the next purchase in line :crazy:

I have a gig coming up, where some friends and I will be more or less loosely covering radio hits from now to back then. The drummer, with whom I also play in another band, has a burning desire for one of those pads that lets him play all sorts of wacky samples, and we made a pact to max out the cheese factor - so I too will be outliving a dream: getting a talkbox.

I think I'll just go Banshee (any reasons to go 2 instead of 1?), and I need a mic that will serve well for both vocal and talkbox. I'm not gonna toss a lot of money at this, and I don't crave the perfect sound that I like to hear from my keyboards - I'm not that much of a singer, anyway :)

Any suggestions?

/ Niels

-Ohhh! and talkbox is not cheesy... It's FUNK!

Incredibly cheesy, but in an awesomely cool way ;-)

I might look at the Heil. Regarding mics, I don't own one at all at the moment, so this will be my first one.

Danimuschi, what would you recommend as an alternative to the Banshee, and what's wrong with it?

Incredibly cheesy, but in an awesomely cool way ;-)

I might look at the Heil. Regarding mics, I don't own one at all at the moment, so this will be my first one.

Danimuschi, what would you recommend as an alternative to the Banshee, and what's wrong with it?

I see no cheese in that clip... Roger is proper O.G.

Back on topic:

Roger started out using "The Bag", but later on he switched to the Electro-Harmonix GoldenThroat with a MiniMoog later later replaced by a Yamaha DX100. At some point him and his brother started to make their own boxes...

The Heil is a bit more "metallic" sounding than the Golden Throat and it will probably not give you the Roger sound, but it beats the Banshee...

It's not easy to master talkboxing, but it is easy to have fun with it and eventually become good. Practice make perfect.

Check theese links for more info:

http://www.mocheez.fr/I%20Play%20The%20Talkbox/The%20Talkbox.html

http://www.talkbox.org/

As far as mics go, use a 57. The 58 sound about the same, but I've been shocked by it when I play the talkbox enough times to just buy my own 57. Another good reason to use a 57 (especially if you decide to go with the Banshee anyway since the volume is to low) is that it more directional and pics up less of the other sounds...
Interesting; thanks for the real-world input. 57 & 58 have the same capsule and body; only difference is the screw-on top (ball vs. straight head). I'd never noticed that the 57 is more directional, but it does make sense that the ball head disperses and widens the pattern a bit.

• 6 months later...

Here's a new talk box that took me by surprise when it showed up in Sweetwater's monthly product update email:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TalkMachST?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I can't wait to find out what the Baseball mode is! :D Gotta love EHX!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

[video:youtube]

This might be really cool for Clavinets! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

57 & 58 have the same capsule and body; only difference is the screw-on top (ball vs. straight head). I'd never noticed that the 57 is more directional, but it does make sense that the ball head disperses and widens the pattern a bit.

I would think the head design of the 57 would give a slight advantage over the 58. The tube can just run along the side of the mic, straight into the mouth. I imagine the ball on the 58 would just be an unnecessary obstacle.

I've had some experience with the banshee.

When i got the talkbox bug, I managed to gut a cheap old guitar practise amp I had around, and just replaced the speaker with a horn driver I found on the web. (In the UK, I found horn drivers very hard to find, so there wasnt much choice. Luckily, I managed to find one with a good-looking bass response.) Anyway, after a great amount of faffing trying to make a horn driver -> tube adaptor, I ended up with a working talkbox.

Problem was that it was tied to a bulky old guitar amp, and my tube adaptor was quite litirally held together with tape.

So, I decided to splash out and get a banshee.

Compared to my shoddy DIY mess, the banshee is

1) Significantly less loud, especially at undistorted volumes. Honestly, Im not sure it wouldnt be usable clean in a gig setting.

2) Tone just doesnt sound as good. The "big swarm of pissed off bees" comment is fair. Biggest issue for me though is the bottom end. The banshee just doesn't have any. The physical FEEL of bass notes in my mouth is incredible with my DIY talkbox. With the banshee, its just not there.

3) The tube actually isn't that well connected to the horn driver. There's a lot of sound leakage where the tube plugs in. Moroso than my shoddy gaffa-tape creation. I guess this doesnt matter so much in a gig, but when practising (without a mic) the extra horn driver noise makes it harder to hear the talkboxing noise. And I guess its wasted sound that could have been going through your mouth.

On the other hand, the banshee *is* incredibly compact, and fuss-free. Inbuilt amp, bypass switch etc - all make it really convinient.

I think the banshee is something obviously designed for guitarists. It doesnt seem designed to play clean, and the low end isnt there. Which is fine if you just want to use it as a novel guitar wah-effect, bathed in distortion. But I don't find it good for trying to create legible words from a synth source.

On youtube, its pretty easy to spot the banshee-users, because of the black tube. If you're not going for legible sounds, the banshee *can* sound good. Check this dude:

Thenagus, there are two versions of the Banshee pedal. Which one did you buy? I'm curious mostly because the more expensive version would hopefully address some of your issues... but maybe not.

As for "baseball mode" on the new EHX Talk Box stomp pedal, I seem to recall them having another pedal called the baseball, or something like that. EHX is known for slipping in features from one pedal into another now and then, as a "bonus". I'm guessing it's some sort of ping-pong delay.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

They demonstrate the baseball effect in the video above - it sounds lake kind of a inverted auto wah, with the sweep freq highpass filtered at the attack, and then sweeping down the freq range and back up again. Hard to explain... easy to understand when you hear it... :)

I actually have a Banshee as well, but I gave up learning it properly... especially since I bought the EHX V256 vocoder.

My only complaints about the Banshee, besides that intelligible talkboxing... seems hard as hell to learn, is that it is kind of easy to overdrive it and it's quite noisy - none of those points are surprising though, since it's made for guitar level input. Still - I think it seems to be a great talkbox. It should be noted though, that I have nothing to compare it to. Anyway, I have not find any problem with the tube connection not being tight enough. The silicone material seems good enough, and there's not much notable leakage.

I have the original Banshee, not the Banshee 2.

I'll see if I can track down some demos of the Banshee 2 to see if it seems to address those concerns.

I can't watch videos at work (policy, along with having no audio), and rarely have time once home, so I haven't had a chance to "remember" to revisit and click on that YouTube yet. I'm guessing it's just lifted from the EHX site though -- I've watched a few of their other videos in the past. They do a pretty good job with their demos overall, covering all the features as a tutorial.

Of course it is, but we were talking about the new EHX pedal, which is what the YouTube video link demo is for. :-)

I've used mine with a Shure PG58 and SM58. Both sounded fine. The latter is probably a better option.

I lost the Velcro strap that came with my talkbox to wrap the tube and mic stand, but an elastic band would do just fine.

I have a Banshee 1, and musicians have enjoyed that model for years. I don't see any benefit in buying the 2.

What keyboard are you planning to use it with?

They're great with FM synths, and pretty dry lead sounds, especially in the lower octaves.

Make sure you play around and find a patch that's write for you.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

What keyboard are you planning to use it with?

I was thinking Nord Lead 2x, open saw waveform. Thanks for the answers and useful discussion here! A keyboardist acquaintance of mine actually offered to sell me a talkbox not too long ago, but I haven't heard from him in a while. So we'll se where this ends.

Ah - yes the baseball-wah! :)

Sorry - I'm really bad at staying on topic.on topic... well well... :)

Someday I'll learn to make that Banshee talkbox sing... some day...

Archived