Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

R.I.P. Henryk Gorecki

offnote

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His 3rd Symphony was something of a huge success for a piece or 20th century music.

What was strange is that it was premiered in 1976, but it wasn't successful into a recording released in 1992 which sold a million copies. That's like the "Thriller" of classical music. I bought one and like it a lot.

I've only played one piece by him, his Harpsichord concerto. It was very different than the Symphony No 3, I was quite surprised.

Oh, no....

I watched him conduct "Symphony #3" with the USC orchestra and give a Q&A in LA before. Fantastic composer.

I posted the excellent BBC obituary on another forum the other day, and the silence led me to believe he was more obscure than I thought (especially given the BBC's comments about him being the best-selling modern composer).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11741555

It's quite a compelling and moving back story. I feel motivated to learn more about this composer now. I just never got around to fully exploring him while he was alive.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

Archived