Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3 and mono piano

Daddyg3042

I've been waiting patiently for the PC3K, but with the recent price drop of the PC3, I'm finding it hard to resist and think I'm going to just go for it.

I always play mono and have a decent mono piano sample on my K2661. I thought I could use this with the PC3K too, but now that I'm considering the PC3, that's no longer in the cards. I've not seen a mono piano patch on the PC3. Is there one? If not, for those that are playing a PC3 in mono, what are you using for piano? Will one get phase cancellation on the stereo piano coming out of a "mono" jack (the Main R channel is mono out on the K2661) on the PC3, or does it "sum" somehow to prevent that problem?

I did search both Google and the forum to see what I could find, but no luck. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

"May you stay...forever young."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Dave Weiser has said that "blues piano" is a mono sample, and there may be others as well. He has also said that all the piano samples get summed to mono when you use only one output. That doesn't necessarily mean they sound as good that way.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The Horowitz #4 sounds pretty good for most applications and is the one I play mono in the most.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Blues Piano is a mono piano - and sounds good with a band. I use my PC3 more than my Electro currently for gigging - most of the time only carrying a single K10, no real problems apparant using just the left out.

Once OS 2.0 is released, there are a couple of new acoustic pianos on it (in the final beta) that work very well in the band. Patch numbers up in the low 800's - and they do sound considerably different from all the pianos in bank 1 and bank 2.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The Horowitz #4 sounds pretty good for most applications and is the one I play mono in the most.

+1

My go-to PC3 piano patch as well. Sounds good in mono.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Another +1 for Horowitz Grand in running in mono (left out on the PC3).

If that doesn't work for you, there are equivalent piano samples in mono. Just hit edit on the piano patch of your choosing, deactivate stereo and swap out the keymap with the equivalent mono sample. It's named accordingly. Do this for each layer and voila!.

Personnally, I think it sounds fine using the summed Mono out.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was pretty confident that there'd be a few good ones on board, but I didn't want to assume.

I've converted some patches on the K2661 to mono. They didn't turn out so well. Didn't know how the process would compare to the PC3, but it sounds like it should be pretty familiar. Thanks for the advice, Ian.

"May you stay...forever young."

You should be all set.

We tested all of the pianos in mono and they sounded fine.

As others have pointed out, there are some mono piano programs.

I always use Rock Piano '74 or Blues Piano '74 for all of my live gigging, both of which are mono programs.

Just wondering, do any of you guys have a "naked" recording (just piano and maybe a drum loop, but really emphasizing the piano and little to no reverb/effects) of you playing any of the PC3 pianos in mono, sort of like what Dave Ferris did for the "jazz lines on the CP5 and Nord Piano" thread? If you have something like that recorded (or want to record something) I'd love to hear it! :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Archived