Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Softsynth setup for live performance

Parttime Keys

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good start, Sven.

There are a number of different approaches depending on budget and your goals -- how much flexibility you need like split keyboard, layering, etc. For example, I play blues, and all I need are classic keyboards. I have a digital piano and used my laptop only for Rhodes, Hammond, and Wurlitzer. So, a very simple setup worked for me except one wrinkle: I wanted to map some of my DP's knobs with controls on the Hammond. I even set it up so that the lowest keys selected presets, like the "reverse video" keys on a Hammond. Other than that, it would have been trivially simple. Also, except for the Hammond and Wurlitzer, all the software and samples I used were free.

Give us a clue what you're thinking and perhaps we can give you some more pointers.

Also be sure to google your little heart out; there is a lot of info out there. On the other hand, nothing serves to clarify that sea of info for your purpose than Q/A conversation with people who've done it, once you get acquainted with the options.

BTW, I no longer use my laptop; I use a Nord Electro 2 for convenience and simplicity and having a 2nd tier keyboard, as well as one keyboard that's good enough to use alone for practice or small gigs.

for me it's Macbook + Mainstage (Part of Logic). Has everything i need plus much more. In a live setting you can also use it via the Macbook internal soundcard. I use either the Mac internal or an external Tascam. Use whatever controller you like, make your adjustments on the mainstage surface and you're ready to go.
Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

@yiannis,

I set up a mainstage concert with about 20 "patches" of different keyboard/bass combinations but I keep getting 'system overload' messages.

The patches are not overly complex, and I am using a fairly new MacBookPro 15 and a Motu Ultralite for output.

This leads me to believe that perhaps a receptor might be a better fit, unless I am missing something.

I have too much gear, said no-one ever.

Thank you everyone for your responses...

Learjeff: Mostly, I'm looking for sounds that are classic to keyboardists...electric pianos, organs, clavi, etc. I think 2 manuals would be plenty. My background...I'm a trombonist who is playing keyboards in a band with a group of friends. From the research I've done so far, I think I'd prefer synths like the Nord Electro 3, with all the effects easily at your fingertips. However, it seems there would be much, much more flexibility with using a computer setup, with the way technology advances. So, to sum up...I'm looking at my options before the next tax season.

Thanks all,

Justice

Do you need your Mac to actually play some of your music (e.g. basslines and such) or do you plan to use it as an expander only, i.e. as if it was a rackmount synth/sampler?

And how many different softsynths do you use in one session? Do all of your patches come from the same softsynth? Does it have built-in effects (in which case you could even think of running it as a standalone unit, if it supports that option)?

From the research I've done so far, I think I'd prefer synths like the Nord Electro 3, with all the effects easily at your fingertips. However, it seems there would be much, much more flexibility with using a computer setup, with the way technology advances.

The beauty of the NE3 will be a lightweight, all-in-one package that has great sounds + sample loading should you need to put some of your own sounds out there.

Not to mince words, but it's not really a "synth". Pianos, electric pianos, and organ sim, plus sample loading (with a pretty nice free library supplied by Nord). You'll get precious few sound-mangling options outside of the built-in effects (which are GREAT).

You can't layer sounds, so if that's important to you, fuggedaboudit.

Something like a Muse Receptor + keyboard controller (take your pick) + the software of your choosing would allow for a flexible setup, but with the flexibility comes complexity.

-John

I make software noises.

A great advantage of the NE3 is you'll spend your time thinking about the sounds and parts, not the technology.

Computers as sound modules are great, but if you go that path, be prepared to spend a sizeable amount of time working out the details. Sometimes the simplest questions aren't trivial to answer, such as, how you're going to change patches. And the complexity goes up if you'll use 2 manuals both feeding the computer.

My 1st recommendation would be the NE3 if it's in the budget. Then you can later add your computer, use the NE3 or the other board as controller. Note that the NE3 isn't the greatest master controller -- you can't set up patches that are silent except for sending midi, and on a specific midi channel.

You mentioned wanting two manuals -- do you have any ideas what you'd use for the other manual, if you used something like the NE3 on top? What keyboards do you already have?

Computers are a lot more flexible, but at a cost of complexity and live control -- you can't usually grab a mouse and adjust things during a show.

I used one keyboard (Ensoniq MR76, which has a piano I like). Midi that to my laptop. I set up patches on the MR76 for hammond, rhodes, and wurlitzer, each sending on a different MIDI channel and locally silent. My laptop was set up using a trivial VST host with each of the sounds attached to the corresponding MIDI channel. That part was simple.

Then I added MIDIOX to remap a number of controls and keys on my MR76 to operate controls on the Hammond sim. That wasn't simple, but once I got it set up it worked great.

A keyboard like an NE3 is definitely simpler. But if you already have a suitable controller and computer, the computer can be a lot cheaper. However, be aware that every time new software gets loaded on your computer, it can affect latency or goof up your audio chain. (Uninstalling and reinstalling the audio software often solves this.)

Let me again say that I very much appreciate the help and insight.

You mentioned wanting two manuals -- do you have any ideas what you'd use for the other manual, if you used something like the NE3 on top? What keyboards do you already have?

I'm really not all that sure what would be a good companion to a NE3. As far as what I have now...it's embarassing. I bought a Yamaha PSR500 (now called a PSR85) about 17 or so years ago and used it for computer composition, along with a Proteus 1 purchased shortly after. I currently use it as a controller for my more recent Casio 3500, which gives me two manuals. The sounds are much better than the PSR500, but I know it won't last me very long. My buddies in the band are still in a rehearsal phase and we haven't gotten out yet, but I think I'd be very self conscious about taking this rig on stage.

Archived