Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String dampener?

El Bajista

Hi there,

I noticed Bob Babbitt has a string dampener on the bridge end of his P bass (Page 22, October 2010 issue of Bass Player) and wondered if anyone out there knows where I can purchase one. Tried the usual web searches but came up with zilch.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone makes one that is like a cam with a lever. A quick push on the lever and the mute raises up. Pull the lever back and the cam rotates down. I'll try to find it.

Rocky

Here it is, or one like it. http://www.elliomartina.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

In practice, an effective dampener is often a sponge, paper towel, or old t-shirt. Socks are optional.

Just add water.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Someone makes one that is like a cam with a lever. A quick push on the lever and the mute raises up. Pull the lever back and the cam rotates down. I'll try to find it.

Rocky

Here it is, or one like it. http://www.elliomartina.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html

Hey Rocky that looks like the very one. Nice find. Thanks a ton.

Lowes or Home Depot black weather stripping. It comes in different sizes. The thickest one is perfect. Just the perfect tension on the strings under a bridge. In black it is almost unnoticable. $8 get you 25ft or so. Enough to do 80 basses.
Fender P's, J, MM Sterling, Mark Bass LMII& LMIII,210&115, Fender 215,Fender 15TV Combo, GenzBenz Shuttle 9, Tech21 Sans Amp DI

A friend has a piece of soft black foam, similar to Jeremy's photo, mounted under the bridge cover on one of his P basses. It's mounted over the top of the strings and gives the bass a cool upright sort of tone.

The one in Rocky's photo looks like it could be activated only when you want to use it. I like that.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I've used one of the foam pads that came with my bike helmet. The helmet came with some extra pads--one of them was just the right length and width that I can slip it right under my strings at the bridge. Works pretty well, though I don't have much need for it in the music I'm playing these days.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Carol Kaye has a piece of felt taped over the strings at the bridge on her bass.

I have recently started placing a small section cut from a Magic Sponge under the strings in front of the bridge on my P-Bass. I'm planning to cut a few sections of varying thickness so I can swap them out for different timbres.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I have an OLD 18 volt Ovation Magnum bass with 3 band EQ that I am rebuilding slowly. It has a mute that pops up and down. Found that old thing in a pawn shop years ago. Got it for $75

What a steal @ $75.00! A bass so ugly it'a cool. They're pretty great sounding too, IIRC.

http://www.mikelombardi.net/guitar/magnum.jpg

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I have an OLD 18 volt Ovation Magnum bass with 3 band EQ that I am rebuilding slowly. It has a mute that pops up and down. Found that old thing in a pawn shop years ago. Got it for $75

What a steal @ $75.00! A bass so ugly it'a cool. They're pretty great sounding too, IIRC.

http://www.mikelombardi.net/guitar/magnum.jpg

Off topic but...I REALLY want that bass.

Archived