Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcription as practice?

SMcD

My piano teacher recently suggested to me that I create a practice routine so I can practice more efficiently and effectively.

My routine involves the usual things you'd expect: Scale exercises, improvisation exercises, learning new songs and maintaining old songs. I also threw transcription into the routine as well: I'll spend 15 minutes working on a solo or lick from a recording.

My question is this: Should transcribing be included in my regular practice routine, or as a separate activity? On one hand, training your ear and learning new vocabulary is extremely important; but if I did it separately from practice, I could free up more time in the routine for technique building.

How do you guys handle transcription and practice routines? I'm interested in hearing some different approaches.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking only for myself, transcribing is a very different "head space" than practicing, and I wouldn't try to make them part of the same routine. Also, I would never transcribe for only 15 minutes. When I do it, I tend to get into the zone and time passes quickly; a couple hours can go by before I'll even come up for air. If I made myself stop after only 15 minutes, I would feel like it wasn't even worth it.

Again, that's just me; you may be wired totally differently.

Yeah, I can see how it might be a problem to cut myself short like that. Especially since there's always that ONE NOTE that completely throws you. :eek:

So, as a follow-up question to those who suggest keeping transcribing and practicing separate: How often do you transcribe in relation to the amount of time spent practicing? If you practice for, say, an hour a day, how much time per week do you put in on transcription?

Transcribing is probably the best way to become a better, more versatile player. Of course, it's also important to understand the theory and the history behind a playing style, but I find that theory only begins to make complete sense after transcribing and analyzing a solo or comping pattern or whatever.

Personally, I think transcribing should be part of any serious player's routine, but it's not playing practice as much as it is ear training and writing and therefore view it as a separate entity.

Personally, my routine is usually warm-up and technical exercises first thing in the morning to get the ball rolling and loosen up your hands and fingers. I usually take a short break after that to let my fingers rest a bit.

After that go back by doing some vocabulary. This varies but could be just ripping through some licks and trying to transpose them to less comfortable keys. Some days, I just work on my rhythm. This means looping a drum pattern and comping simple chords over it, or reading through the changes of a tune a few times. For me, being a good rhythm section player is under-appreciated and is much more valuable in the real-world.

Then, I do all my homework. This means learning new songs for upcoming gigs, practicing old ones, programming my patches, making charts, etc. This is not what I consider transcribing. This isn't personal work, this is professional work. I have deadlines for specific parts to learn and charts to make for specific songs for upcoming rehearsals, gigs, or studio work or even some of my lessons.

Transcribing I do at night, after supper when there's a solo I've always wanted to learn, or a song I heard recently that inspired me. It's usually in a style I don't usually play in, and it's for stuff I don't play with any of my projects. It's personal growth stuff.

I rarely transcribe everything in one session. I usually do bits at a time, practice and absorb it and move on from there. I try and give myself a goal of one song or solo a week. It's one thing to transcribe it, it's another to learn it a play it properly. If you try and rip through a new one everyday, you're just practicing your ears and your notations skills, you're not really giving your fingers a chance to learn something new.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I really like that one, Ian! Mine's sort of a condensed version of yours (We aren't all lucky enough to have whole days to practice!).

I guess I'll just remove transcribing from the routines (Multiple routines, since I play multiple instruments) and increase the amount of time that I'm doing technique, vocabulary (Right hand does soloing exercises such as arpeggios and bebop scales, or licks; while left hand does various comping/bass patterns), and repertoire.

Ian, that's an inspiring look at your day! Gets me fired up to do all of the above.

Yeah, written out like that I sound like I'm really disciplined.

The reality is I get to do all of that 2-3 days in a week. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays I'm always gigging, so forget the transcribing. And on at least one of those days, I have a soundcheck in the afternoon, so drop a few hours there.

Sundays I usually take the whole day off from music, and don't forget teaching and rehearsals. And somewhere in between all that I gotta find time to cook, eat, do laundry, clean my house, etc.

In reality, I try and do the intense practice routines on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Gigging days, I mostly do technical warm ups and a run-through of my gig material.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I get all the transcribing practice I need learning tunes for the band, it's the regular practicing on a daily basis I have a problem with, but it's been getting better lately.

There's this other job thing that gets in the way most days..

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Yamaha Montage M7, Nord Electro 6D, Hammond XK1c, Dave Smith PolyEvolver & Rack, Moog Voyager,  Modal Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I'm always interested to hear people's practice routines. There are usually good ideas to be gleaned from other players. Those of us with day jobs face a different set of challenges. I've been thinking about ways to snatch bits of musical practice/growth while at the office. Someone posted here about getting a keyboard for their office. After reading that, I did exactly that. A brilliant idea. On an average day, I'll spend 15-20 minutes playing with my door closed at lunch or whatnot. That's an additional 1-2 hours a week of music work, which adds up over time. And it's work done with a relatively fresh and receptive mind, as opposed to the saturated state your mind is in when you've already been absorbing music for 2-3 hours.

Transcription is something that you can do almost just as effectively in big pieces or small pieces of work. Unlike playing, where you sort of work yourself in to a groove and try to stay there until fatigue sets in. Spending 5 minutes getting the next phrase down on paper is beneficial no matter when or how it happens. If you carry a small battery-powered keyboard, you can do transcription during the odd "dead time" period, such as on a commute train, in airports, or on an airplane, or while visiting your significant other's family over thanksgiving.

Another idea would be to

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I agree - transcription comes from a different area of your brain. Best to do it away from your regular practice schedule when you can dedicate some time to it. "Getting in the zone" is a key part of the process.

Best of luck!

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I get all the transcribing practice I need learning tunes for the band, it's the regular practicing on a daily basis I have a problem with, but it's been getting better lately.

There's this other job thing that gets in the way most days..

I get that for sure. Not only do I have less time to do actual practice and shedding, but I find it harder to stay focused than when I'm transcribing. Funny how that works, eh?

Archived