Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Janiva Magness - Lansing, MI Show

Zydecat

The setup was basically a stage in the corner of a parking lot by the river. The weather was great and the sound was clean and clear, but for some reason there were no lights, even for the stage. Weird for an evening gig, I thought. And dark, too, toward the end.

One word - "Respect". The band was top notch, well rehearsed, with great dynamics, and totally pro. Janiva exuded energy, authenticity, and sang her butt off. She connected well, with just the right balance of brassy blues lady and self-deprecating humor. Her appreciation of the audience and love for her work and the musicians appeared abolutely genuine.

The whole band was simply excellent. B3-er, of course, tore it up. The XK3 and 3300 sounded mighty fine, and man, that boy can play! The lower board looked like an Electro, which was also put to good use by Mister B3-er (but it did sound a bit tinkly for my taste on the straight piano stuff). :confused: Jim's organ work and tone definitely deserve respect, and watching his obvious enjoyment while playing reminded me again why music inspires me.

I introduced myself to Jim during the break, and he was most gracious despite having a number of home town folks to visit with. He even offered to let me try out the Ventilator. Wonder if he'll let me steal some licks, too?

Seeing B3-er's daughter dancing to her dad's music took me back to when my two daughters (now grown) used to do the same back in the '80's, albeit to a lesser band.

If you get a chance to see Janiva and company, take it. Now I need to go practice a whole bunch more.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review, Cat. In keeping with the rest of the over all positive reviews. I was sorry Jim's show at Mexicali was cancelled and Somers Point is too far for me. Maybe next time.

Regards,

Joe

DId you notice how the rest of the band, most notably the bass player and Janiva herself get that look just about every time Jimmy plays, like, "wow :love: "?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thank you for the kind words, Zydecat! It was great to meet you and I'm really glad you came up to introduce yourself. That was a fun show despite the weird surroundings.

Tonight we're in Tuscawaras OH. Tomorrow in Lewisburg WV and Sunday in Columbus, OH.

June 25 Tuscarawas, OH

The Canal House

June 26 Lewisburg, WV

Rhythm, Blues & All That Jazz Festival

June 27 Columbus, OH

Vonn Jazz and Blues

Darn it! I wanted to see that show!!!
Me too

Well then, why didn't you? ;)

The Nord Electro 2 is graciously on loan from kanker for the summer. I'm still using my Privia PX-330, but that's out in LA. I'm using my home rig for these five dates in MI, OH, and WV and since my Motif ES rack is out in LA, too, I needed something with good pianos and electric pianos. I'm going to buy another Motif rack (an XS hopefully) eventually, but in the meantime having the Electro 2 is extremely helpful.

kanker is the man.

I'm not too thrilled with the piano on it myself but what's funny is our bassist told me tonight that the piano sound was killin' and it sounded great through his monitor. So I guess it's translating fairly well. I'm also getting used to the response of the keyboard the more I play it.

Show in Tuscawarus went well. Off to Lewisburg, WV tomorrow at Carnegie Hall (the original Carnegie Hall!)

kanker is the man.

Yeah. I've heard you both in person.

Kanker is the man, but you're standing right there beside him, Jim.

You guys ROCK. And you're welcome to come back to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill any time you want. I'll buy they beer. :thu:

And since Mr. Kanker likes his beer warm, I'll ask 'em to microwave it before serving it to 'im. :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

For you Michigan guys that didn't make the Lansing show - let's not let that happen again. Seriously though, you really did miss seeing a great band.

B3-er, I hope to take you up on your offer to visit more when you have some down time. I'm still hoping to upgrade from my EMU B3/P120 combo to a Hammond emulator that's better suited for live use, and, sounds like you're the man to talk to. (well, you and Kanker, that is - though that party dress thing sounds a bit out there)

I'm considering a used VK, CX, XK, electro 2, or maybe even another module with drawbars and a Ventilator.

In any event, see you down the road.

Archived