Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Something new from Nord?

The new grand sure does sound more articulated than its predecessor. I'm wondering about one thing though; the three seizes that the pianos come in have different amounts of "string resonance samples". Has this got to do with the string resonance feature in the Stage EX and Piano, or have they just cut down on the pedal-down samples?
When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the string resonance feature of the EX. So if you have a classic, there's no point in the XL and Medium libs.

Edit: from the website -

"The Large versions have the pedal-down String Resonance samples all across the keyboard, providing you with the fullest of sounds, but also the largest size.

The Medium versions have pedal-down String Resonance samples in the important middle region of the range, but omit these in the lowest and the highest areas. This gives you a good ratio of functionality and size.

Sml is the version that uses the least amount of space in the piano memory, but still carry a big and powerful punch. This version does not contain any String Resonance samples at all. If an Sml piano is selected in the Nord unit, the String Resonance feature (if applicable) will be disabled."

Moe

---

What I think is unclear is if "not contain any string resonance samples att all" means no pedal-down samples either. On the original Stage and Electro 3 the sustain pedal switches to another sample set - the piano sampled with sustain pedal down. In the older piano lib, if I remember correctly all acoustic pianos but the Stage Grand (small size Yam C7 with a lot of "bite") had pedal down samples.

Can anyone with a Nord Piano or Stage EX verify if the small size pianos have pedal down samples or not?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

So what are you guys thinking of the new pianos? I've really fallen in love with the Grand Lady, looove playing it. That and the Black Upright have been real standouts for me.

I haven't used them in a live context yet, only in the studio....I'm hoping to have a similar reaction to them on stage.

I have the NE3 so I also have to wait - I've listened to the demos over and over and it sounds promising. Still - my favorite in the demos is the Bösendorfer Grand (in the Nord Piano sound demos section) and it won't be released until quarter three... so the new pianos are just out and I'm already waiting for the next ones... Anyway... :) I saw something interresting in the manual for the Nord Piano - in a picture of the Nord Sound Manager on page 20 a two other pianos are listed: Eltons Piano and ZawiTines. Of course this is pure speculation, but it would be really cool if the next step for the Nord Library was to include signature sounds, like these two... :)

Now back to mine and Nillerbabs last question - can anyone with a v5 compatible instrument verify if the new "small" size pianos do include pedal down samples or not?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Tried the different samples on my NS EX (the Lady Grand) and the small samples have definitively NO Pedal Down samples, so at least you have to use the MEDIUM samples.

Also, as in previous sample versions, re-pedaling is hardly audible with the Nord Pianos, but I think thats how they have analyzed the real thing while personally I would say that it has a stronger effect.

www.norduserforum.com

Ah, thanks for the info! I think that in a band setting no one will notice the resonance and pedal effects. For solo piano setting and maybe jazz trio and such you could notice a difference if you would compare the two.

Anyway - I'm really looking forward to try the sounds out myself and I guess for us not owning a Nord Piano it will come down to choosing wisely between the different pianos and a trade off between many pianos or a just a few "large" ones. I really dig the idea of the three sizes! I guess I will mostly use the "small" versions, but when recording changing to "large" ones.

Tried the different samples on my NS EX (the Lady Grand) and the small samples have definitively NO Pedal Down samples, so at least you have to use the MEDIUM samples.

Any comments on the Grand Lady?

Anyway... :) I saw something interresting in the manual for the Nord Piano - in a picture of the Nord Sound Manager on page 20 a two other pianos are listed: Eltons Piano and ZawiTines. Of course this is pure speculation, but it would be really cool if the next step for the Nord Library was to include signature sounds, like these two... :)

I'm guessing these are the names of Programs rather than Piano samples.

I had that thought too, but the picture is in a section about "sounds", not programs - programs are mentioned on the next page. Anyway - it was just speculation. It would be cool thought if they sampled an "Elton piano" like an MKS20 or RD1000. Doesn't the Korg SV1 have a piano like that? My RPX have one anyway. Also - the DX piano is still missing... well well :)

Those are programs. From TFM right above the image you are talking about:

"Select the bank and the sound . Shift-click will allow you to select

several consecutive sounds; Ctrl-click will allow you to select

nonconsecutive sounds . Here we have selected a few of the

programs: "

Moe

---

I would like to retract earlier statements from last year I might have made about Nord electro 3 pianos not being usable. Last night I finally got around to loading up the piano samples, unfortunately not the V5 stuff yet (late june for E3s evidently) and I was pleasantly surprised at the 4.4 XL studio 2 sample. I went thru all the samples on the nord site, and found some of those piano were really awful. But that one in particular was excellent especially midi'd from my motif... it felt and sounded great

This got me very excited for the V5 stuff... Cool!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

There have been many who have said the Nord pianos are more playable from a good weighted action, esp. vs. the Electro action. Cool that you've found something that works for you.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I use that piano all the time in my Nord. Yesterday I did a gig with my soulband at a big party and I lend my piano to a pianist from the gothenburg opera who was comping an operasinger. I was really impressed by the pianosound, even in that kind of setting.

/Fred

I would like to retract earlier statements from last year I might have made about Nord electro 3 pianos not being usable. Last night I finally got around to loading up the piano samples, unfortunately not the V5 stuff yet (late june for E3s evidently) and I was pleasantly surprised at the 4.4 XL studio 2 sample. I went thru all the samples on the nord site, and found some of those piano were really awful. But that one in particular was excellent especially midi'd from my motif... it felt and sounded great

This got me very excited for the V5 stuff... Cool!

Thanks for the info - just downloaded. Probably get installed tonight.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Cool,

Just tried out the electric pianos and they are a great improvement more highs!!!

-EP5 Bright Tines Custom mod5.1 sounds like the tiney sound I get from my vintage bua preamp - www.vintagebua.no.

-EP6 Really cool -fine dynamics with bark yeah!!A lot happens when you work the eq-my personal favourite wow!!!!!

Like the resolution and clarity in these samples hope the others will be reworked.

I managed to upload the smallest of the Grand Lady D, to me it feels a bit colder than the Yamaha studio grand 2 XL which still is my favourite

Wish I had an EX with more memory and string resonance :-)

/Fred

I have the small Studio Grand 2 loaded in my Electro 3, play it from my Kurzweil PC3x. It's so much better than the 4.4 version, and I think I prefer it to the Triple Strike in the PC3x. Can't wait to try it with the band (Sad fact: I had one of the 4.4 uprights loaded in last rehearsal, I believe it was the Blueswede, and the drummer asked me if that was supposed to be a piano ;_;)

Grand Lady D small in #1 piano, the Bosie Upright instead of both uprights, and the Sparkletop Rhodes (back in the 80's, church I was in band had an 88 of them - this sounds better). Also replaced the French Harpsichord with the Italian (its smaller, so everything fits, and I like its sound better).

Be a while before I have time to figure out exactly which synth samples to eliminate and replace with others. After unzipping them, there is a total of over 2Gb of them.

A bit

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived