Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do I do now...

SteveC

Tell Yamaha about your commitment and see if they'll make you an endorser.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Naked ladies? Eww. That's a good way to get cooties.

It's actually the BEST way...except for, of course, 3 geese, some rubber bands, a bottle of Stoli, and a cat 'o nine tails made from the hair of a Pomeranian.

YMMV.

"And if you'd like to step in here I'll introduce you to the latest member of our moderator team who......uh...oh...."

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Put out an album. That will keep you more than occupied. It's good to know that you are happy with your setup it means you can get on with just playing!!
This is a great suggestion but I wonder how much is possible during a lunch break at work?

I don't know Steve's situation but I could probably get away with bringing in my laptop and an electric instrument of some sort, shutting my office door and tracking. :cool:

Not sure if I could get the mojo flowing in 30 minutes, though. :o

Tell Yamaha about your commitment and see if they'll make you an endorser.

You'd think after turning away Lakland, Modulus, Sadowsky, and basically every other big name in bass that this would be obvious.

Put out an album. That will keep you more than occupied. It's good to know that you are happy with your setup it means you can get on with just playing!!

This is a great suggestion but I wonder how much is possible during a lunch break at work?

I don't know Steve's situation but I could probably get away with bringing in my laptop and an electric instrument of some sort, shutting my office door and tracking. :cool:

Not sure if I could get the mojo flowing in 30 minutes, though. :o

Being a music teacher, I think I could get away with a lot in this direction. What kind of album can a simple bass player put out?

if you like your yamaha bb605 so much, why don't you marry it?

that's an obscure simpsons reference from the "Lisa the vegetarian episode". More oft quoted lines from that episode are "you don't win friends with salad", "the extra b is a typo" and "i'll donate a million dollars to the local orphanage...WHEN PIGS FLY".

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

So I guess it wouldn't help Steve's G.A.S. situation to mention that I met one of the master builders at Fodera tonight while I was out jamming? And that his Fodera Emporer 5 string sounded positively exquisite?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I don't get the whole I'm just a music teacher what kind of album can I do mindset. Man you need to shake yourself!! You do music for a living I would give my left nut for that job. You have a young family, you can read, you have the news, what pisses you off, what excites you, what turns ya on, what do ya love, what do you hate.

Just write it, there is no wrong or right

You do music for a living I would give my left nut for that job.

I too would give Seamy's left nut for that job :thu:

I'd give both of Seamy's nuts for that job! I mean, right now, too! Maybe one of his legs too, if the job was right.

Any takers?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I don't get the whole I'm just a music teacher what kind of album can I do mindset. Man you need to shake yourself!! You do music for a living I would give my left nut for that job. You have a young family, you can read, you have the news, what pisses you off, what excites you, what turns ya on, what do ya love, what do you hate.

Just write it, there is no wrong or right

It's not an "I'm just a lowly music teacher in a small town" thing. Every time I try to come up with something - for myself, or when a band tries to jam out something new, I can't come up with an original thought. I seem to always play something from one of the 100's of tunes I already know.

You do music for a living I would give my left nut for that job.

I too would give Seamy's left nut for that job :thu:

I'd give both of Seamy's nuts for that job! I mean, right now, too! Maybe one of his legs too, if the job was right.

Any takers?

LOL. Stop it, you guys. You're KILLING me!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

LOL. Stop it, you guys. You're KILLING me!

I'd be more concerned about Seamy's health at this rate of body chopping...

Oh, I'm sure that will be the last time he publicly offers up a body part.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Whats a good, cheap interface to use? I don't really need software as I have Garageband.
Take a line level signal -- line out from head, etc. -- and use a stereo cable with a 3.5 mm mini plug on one end and a 1/4 inch plug on the other. Plug into the line in port on your Mac.

Don't use an instrument/patch cable with a 1/4-to-3.5 mm adapter; the heavy cord puts too much stress on the Mac port. It's ok to use a thin cable with 3.5 mm jacks on each end and use a 3.5 mm-to-1.4 inch to plug into your head/whatever.

I can't come up with an original thought. I seem to always play something from one of the 100's of tunes I already know.
I don't think today's bands are coming up with groundbreaking original ideas, either. Have you seen the
?

Just write. Don't edit yourself while you write.

I don't have a guitar or keyboard, no drum tracks - except on Garageband I guess. I see lots of stuff with people looping and playing over that, but doesn't that get boring after a while? I don't know. Maybe I'll try to get connected and see what happens...

I don't have a guitar or keyboard, no drum tracks
You can use MIDI programming to get all of those. A bit of a PITA without a MIDI keyboard but it can be done.

Punch in the notes you want with the mouse and GarageBand's on-screen keyboard. Then edit it until it sounds like music instead of someone frantically jerking a mouse around and banging on it. ;)

Archived