Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My writing not "fitting in"?

SMcD

My rock band, which has been together for 2 odd years, has recently started writing and creating songs like crazy. All we ever do at practices now is write, write, and write (When I say "write" I mean "song composition", not necessarily lyrics).

I've talked before about how I come from a bit of a different place than my bandmates. They come from a "modern" background (Turn on your radios, flip around until you hear "Today's Best Rock"), whereas I come from a classic rock- and blues-oriented place. It's never really seemed to matter when we've been creating our own material, though - I play how I want, and it sounds good.

However, recently I've felt the insatiable urge to compose and write riffs, etc. myself - usually our bass player does most of the composing (He's a monster- I swear he writes a million riffs a day). The problem is, that I feel out of my creative element in this particular genre of rock. I did write one song - Riffs, structure, lyrics, the whole thing - but it's sort of a "bluesy" thing, and my bandmates feel that it doesn't jive with the rest of our stuff; that it won't "fit in" at gigs.

I really liked this song. On one hand, I can see where they're coming from about this one song being out-of-place - trying to establish a "signature sound" and all that - but on the other hand, I want to be able to be creative and perform what's coming from me. I don't want to leave this band, but I feel frustrated that I can't seem to write within the context of this particular genre. What can I do?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kevin is spot on. I currently play in four bands. Only one is my primary, where most of my compositions go. But some of the more outside compositions I've done lately, I've offered up in one of the other bands, and they love them.

I'm in three bands, with a fourth looming. We play different styles in every band. In fact, I play different instruments too. You've got to branch out. You'll make connections, you'll be playing with different musical personalities, you'll be stretching everything at least a little. It's the way to go.

No matter what happens, keep writing.

Whether this band uses any of them, you find another band that wants them, or you sit on them for a while, keep writing. You may never use some of the songs, you may reuse parts of them in other songs, you may decide to produce a solo album of your own songs. But all that is okay. If you have the fire to write songs, keep it lit.

:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As mentioned, keep writing. If the bands uses your tunes, great, if not, hold on to them and/or find an additional outlet.

In the meantime, continue contributing parts to the band tunes. Unless your job is a songwriter and/or music composer, don't force it.

Songs are easier to write away from music and your instrument. The best ideas come from life experiences. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived