Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

D-Beam controller

reidmc

I'm completely unaware of the Roland VK-8M "Hammond" module, though did see some positive (and other) comments on it here.

Anyway, wondering what the heck this is (D-Beam Controller) and how (if?) it works:

[font:Century Gothic]

With its D Beam Controller, the VK-8M offers performers a world of expression. Using an infrared beam of light with an LED that changes color as your hand changes distance, players can control such functions as rotary speed (Slow/Fast) or tone wheel motor stops. [/font]

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It absolutely works on the VK-8/VK-8m. It's exactly what it says; if you pass your hand (or any solid item) over the D-Beam sensor, it triggers whatever you've assigned it to.

Think of it like the infrared detector on an automated door at your local retailer. If it detects someone in its beam, it opens the door. If the VK detects something in its beam, it triggers whatever effect it's assigned to.

Often it'll be used to trigger the change of rotary speed, but I like using it for the tonewheel brake effect or the Ring Modulation effect.

Sorry, just re-read that, and realized I didn't discuss the fact that it's also a proximity sensor, so that it is a variable effect (depending on the assigned target), not simply an on/off situation. I was looking for a sample on YouTube, but didn't see anything for the VK-8/8m with a quick search; just some silly Fantom-releated ones, but those might help you see the controller in action. Take a moment and check there. :thu:

I have one in my work horse(Juno). I use it when my feet are tied to a patch relying on 'hold/expression'. It is fully assignable too. cutoff sweeps/ balance/ envelope ect. It can be a simple switch, or like Sven said a proximity device, much like a knob. If you use it for the proximity, make sure you keep your hand directly over the top of that strange red eyeball! If not, your app. will get screwed!
"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Archived