Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good gigs Everybody

Seamy ALB

Ah its Saturday night the shirt is Ironed its 9pm and it is time for me to hit the road for another 90 mile round trip to bring the rock & the roll tonight. Hope if your playing tonight its good all your gear works the people are pretty and they all dance for you!!

Cheers

Seamy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Seamy and back at ya! I'm bringing my Squier p as a backup tonight and I'll see if it gets a chance to strut it's stuff on a few songs. I leveled the frets, adjusted it and put some new flats on it. Its plays like buttah and sounds very cool.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I am heading out for a gig. A bunch of people that work for me are coming. I agreed that what happens at a gig stays at a gig.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Its 10 past 4 am now I'm just home about 20 minutes. It was an 11:00 start tonight, about an hour drive, 30 min setup and 2 sets 1st one 1hr 30 min and the 2nd one being 50 min and then repeat in reverse although the load out is always quicker. Its a two room venue normally we play the the bigger room but as its Mothers Day here tomorrow and St Patricks on Wednesday they did not expect a big crowd so they decided to keep it cosy in the small room. All in all it was good craic.

It was a 2 piece bar show tonight all covers. My wee girl will be up in 3 to 4 hours looking her Breakfast and we have to do Breakfast/Lunch for all Mums & Grannys, I love this Rock N Roll live!!

Hope your nights where good!!

Was a good night here. Lots of dancers. Folks from work showed up and they relaxed, even though the boss was on bass watching every move....

I was relaxed and dancing about so that probably helped.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Glad to hear of some good gigs.

My night was not so great, I was a last minute fill-in for a group of guys who essentially were there to back up a guitarist and singer who wanted to have a night in the spotlight, not give a performance to an audience.

Always make a set list with the audience in mind, ours had a few danceable bar-band standards, and the crowd wanted more, but the guitarist wants to break into Rush's Working Man, and the singer wants to do Kansas's "carry On"; nothing clears the floor faster.

Oh well, it was a learning experience, but next time around I'm pushing for more sing-alongs and butt-shakers and less guitar heroics.

On the other hand, Sunday morning's worship service went very well, the core players have been together for 5 months now, and as it's often kind of free-form, we are able to read each other and work in a lot of dynamics and such. Sunday morning made Saturday not seem a lot less bad, maybe that's a metaphor for something.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

We played our usual covers set at a local bar. The venue is nothing special - just a small local south London pub. We get wedged onto a tiny stage area and I end up behind the speaker, almost out of view.

But... you know how sometimes it just all comes together?

We had a full room which stayed full all night. And people really got into us. Folks danced, folks cheered, folks sang along, folks stood on the tables etc etc.

And what's even better, they bought lots of drinks.

At the end of the night the bar manager appeared with her diary and has booked us for another four nights.

So, home and unpacked by 3.am. And still buzzing...

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

We had a good gig, big crowd, lots of applause, and a bar fight at the end of the night. Weird seeing people rolling around on the floor and flailing at each other in an upscale non-smoking restaurant bar like the one we were playing. Guess that makes it a real party...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

We had rehearsal - Friday. One guitarist got stuck at work, but we got a lot done with vocals and some arrangements. The gig is next week.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The jazz quartet has been having good gigs lately. I have been using a WAV 4 EUB with good results. We pride ourselves on being the non-standard quartet. We play the "B" side of standards. We also do Pat Metheney, Al Jarreau, Joe Sample, stuff like that.

I played three times in 24 hours this weekend. Saturday night I played with the BluesSlingers at a country store in a small town nearby. We had a good crowd and kept them there, folks danced a lot. We have the second Saturday each month there.

Sunday morning. Up at 6am for a 7am rehearsal, then played two services at church. Went directly from church to host the blues jam at 1pm. Played till 5:30.

Playing on Wednesday with the Mojo Roots blues band and opening up for John Lee Hooker Jr. in Columbia. I'm going to be recording with these guys in April too.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Playing on Wednesday with the Mojo Roots blues band and opening up for John Lee Hooker Jr. in Columbia. I'm going to be recording with these guys in April too.

Awesome! Where in CoMo; Blue Note? Let me know. Maybe Funkslap Daughter will attend.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Seamy wrote:

My favorite song on saturday night was Shook Me All Night Long by ACDC, the groove was good and the crowd loved it!!

We usually finish the night with Highway to Hell - goes down a storm. We do it complete with over-the-top 'rawk' ending. The guitarist and singer normally end up standing on tables, throwing heroic rock-star poses as we build up to the final crescendo. On the very last downbeat of the ending(and of the night) they jump to the floor in synchronised leaps.

If they get the timing right the crowd love it.

If it's out of synch it's still funny... I think the fact that one is in his 50s and the other nearly 40 just adds to the ridiculousness of the whole thing.

And it has to be the last note of the night as usually at least one of them is limping afterwards.

Cheers

Graham

www.talkingstrawberries.com - for rocking' blues, raw and fresh!

Mama - we play at the Blue Note and will start at 8pm. If FS daughter comes, tell her come and say hi. That would be cool.

Great! Her friend Luke is a bass player. If they go and she's too shy, I'll have him say hi. :)

The opening gig for JL Hooker Jr. went well. Didn't get to meet Funkslap Daughter though. Hooker's band plays blues/funk and were tight.

An interesting twist to the gig was that their bass player was in a car wreck on the way to the gig and couldn't make it. A friend of mine filled in at the last minute and did a great job. no practice. Another feather in our collective bass player's hats.

www.themojoroots.com

Didn't get to meet Funkslap Daughter though.

Shoot. I wonder what she and her friends ended up doing last night. (Of course, she would be horrified at the thought of walking up to a stranger and saying, "I am the daughter of Funkslap Mama." LOL)

Well, JL, I'm sure we'll all get together eventually...at the Roots & Blues BBQ Festival, if nothing else. They've got a great lineup this year. I'm taking Sonny Boy out of school so we can go. I assume you'll be there; right? Maybe Picker, too? Looking forward to it.

I might be there. If you get close enough to see the name acts it's literally like sardines and I've tried to avoid those but my wife usually talks me into going. There will be other local acts around too, possibly even me.

Don't know if picker will go.

www.themojoroots.com

If you get close enough to see the name acts it's literally like sardines and I've tried to avoid those but my wife usually talks me into going.
I'm not a big fan of crowds, either, but I hear the pulled pork alone is worth the price of admission.

There will be other local acts around too, possibly even me.
That would be so cool!

We'll have to talk him into it. LZ80 from StL, too, although I haven't seen him around here for a while.

Where are ya's at this weekend?

I'm here with the pin: terrace bar omagh

Here on the Saturday night: The Diamond Rock Club

Although mild mannered looking The Diamond is one of the best Rock venues in N Ireland. Here is their myspace http://www.myspace.com/thediamondbar

I love the new google maps the world is smaller!

Seamy Have a great weekend playing...

I just wathed the move "ONCE" for the first time..it was great and the scenes from your country are beautiful....

I'll be at O Flanagans Pub..an Irish Pub in NYC

65th & 1st tonight - we start @ 10:30 - 3 sets....

Nash P bass - Eden WT550 and 2 Bag End SD 15 cabs...

www.danielprine.com

My blues band is back at the Glad Crab. It is a coolish venue. Not sure they will like the blues we play or not... This our second show here so hopefully we get a good crowd based on the rep from the first show back in January.

I'm envious. My band doesn't have a gig until April 24th, but it's a cool one. We get to play at a "Blessing of the Bikes" event before the Frederick Keys (minor league) baseball game. Inside the stadium, on the 1st base dougout roof; and we play the national anthem, too. Since our cd is out being manufactured now (finally!!!), that will be our "cd release party" unless we get something together before that.

Rock on, ye who are blessed with gigs.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

We'll have to talk him into it.

My arm is easily twisted for good blues & BBQ. When is the Festival? Maybe I can get our singer to book it!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

We'll have to talk him into it.

When is the Festival?

The 2010 Roots & Blues BBQ Festival in Columbia, MO (about 2 hrs due west of St. Louis) starts Fri, Oct 1, at 5 PM and runs all day Sat, Oct 2.

Maybe I can get our singer to book it!

Now, how cool would THAT be?! a Low Down Lowdown double bill: JLRush and Picker!

The 2010 Roots & Blues BBQ Festival in Columbia, MO (about 2 hrs due west of St. Louis) starts Fri, Oct 1, at 5 PM and runs all day Sat, Oct 2.

I live her and she knows more about it than me. :rolleyes:

Someone in city hall would know where to send you for booking, I guess.

www.themojoroots.com

I live her and she knows more about it than me. :rolleyes:

What can I say? I like to plan ahead.

Archived