Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD 700 repair

Reverend Rhythm

I have 2 broken keys on my RD 700. I have taken it apart and found what is broken, but I can't figure out how to remove the piece.

This happened 3 or 4 years ago, and I took it to a repair facility here in Atlanta. That took 6 weeks and something like $175 dollars. I need the keyboard Saturday! Okay, that might not be reasonable, but I know I can't wait 6 weeks. So... any advice?

David

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, first off it is likely the trays that are broken, where the key mounts. You need to have NEW trays and you can order them direct from Roland. You also need the felt pc. that threads through the trays, since that is worn out where the key broke. (sometimes it is worn almost through). Roland often times doesn't have the trays or the felt strip in stock and it takes several weeks to get them. I order an extra tray when I do my repairs in case I am in your situation.

I think it usually cost me $75-$100 for 2 or three trays and a felt strip

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Now to disassemble

1. Use a flat head small screwdriver to pop the keys off the tray. All keys and weights have to come out.

2. Pull the threaded felt strip out being careful not to break the end off. It takes finesse

3. Located and remove screws holding the trays in. Only remove the ones broken. They usually break on the ends.

4. Replace with new tray/trays and re-thread the felt strip.

5.To re-thread I use a long coat hanger straightened out with a short (1/2") bend at one end to put through the plastic end of the felt strip. THEN I TAPE it with duct tape all the way from above the bend in the coat hanger onto the felt a short way so I don't pull the plastic thing off. Make sure the tape can make it through the plastic tray. This is where it gets tricky. TAKE YOUR TIME..... Good luck.\

I have done this repair twice in 7 years.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

And there is a thread on this forum that shows, in glorious photographic depiction, each step of the repair process. I had to do this too and the photo guide was indispensable. Do a search.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I believe burningbush was the poster of that collection of photos if that helps your search

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Still haven't found the pictures, but I thought I'd give an update.

I came up with the "bright" idea os epoxy gluing the piece back together. It worked for a couple of hours. So I'm opening it back up today and ordering the parts.

I called a service center and they said it would be 3 hours labor ($75 an hour) and approx. 3 weeks. As long as I can get the keyboard back together I think I'll be okay to do it myself. We'll see. It took me three attemps to get it back together.

David

• 1 month later...

another update:

We finally got the tray out. It seemed a lot more difficult than it should have been, but it's done now. I now think I could repeat this without too much difficulty.

Many thanks to you guys, especially blueskeys.

I wish I could have found the old thread, but now all is good.

David

hey rev. what are friends for.... As I recall the trys do stick a bit once you get the screws out. Now be careful with the felt strip you feed through> Make SURE you have the right side up on it.

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

• 1 year later...

Hoping that this wouldnt happen to my RD, but I had a key drop out of alignment. After consulting Blueskeys I opened it up to find a broken tray. Roland is closed today so I cant get a tray ordered until tomorrow. Since Im playing this weekend, have an audition tomorrow and band practice on Wednesday I super glued the tray back together.

http://i645.photobucket.com/albums/uu180/clppete/keys/DSCN0766.jpg

I noticed that there is some sort of lube where the keys connect and also where they contact the hammer. Do you know what this is?

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I have an A-90 and they look similar. I broke some keys before and remembered to switch them out to the upper or lower range that don't get played as much until I received the new ones.

Great Idea! I have done that with the rubber contact strips before. If my super glue doesn't make it to the weekend I could move the broken tray all the way to the bottom. The trays cover an octave starting on A's. As it's an A that's busted and I certainly won't miss the bottom note.

I may just go ahead and do the swap out so I don't have to worry about a failure on New Years Eve.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Archived