Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New supergroup, Black Country

simpleman3441

Just heard about a new supergroup that I'm excited about. We'll see if they come through the way Them Crooked Vultures did. Wasn't real impressed with Chicken Foot or whatever that Satriani group was called.

The line-up is Jason Bonham, Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonamassa and Derek Sherinian. Due end of 2010 or early 2011. Hope they get it done sooner.

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonamassa is a pretty young guy, relatively... maybe 30? I remember him (unless I'm scrambling him with Derek Trucks or something) as being a kid prodigy who was really young looking, like 13 or something, when he first started turing up in GP and the press. have to admit I've never listened that much, thought he was a blues guy in that era of very young blues guys (Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shephard, etc.).

My girl's uncle was spinning some old Trapeze a while ago, Hughes' pre-Deep Purple band. It was some good stuff.

I'm not a big fan of Bonamassa's albums. Just doesn't excite me at all. Some friends of mine were big fans and took me to some live shows. Fantastic. Just fantastic. My ex didn't like anything that had any melodic or harmonic sensibility when we first started dating. Hated his albums and argued with me when I told her I wanted her to buy us tickets for my birthday. She changed her tune at the show. Great stuff.
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Bonamassa'a a very good player, but for some reason or 'nother, no particular reason though, he never managed to really grab my attention enough for me to want to run out and buy or download any of his albums. Maybe- probably- I would have liked catching him live a lot better.

Maybe a band setting, a more collaborative, interactive group dynamic, will be just the thing for him; and maybe he'll be just the thing for them.

Out of that wave of very young gun bluesy guitar slingers, Derek Trucks is the one that's really grabbed me; love his playing, phrasing, and tone!

And I hafta say that the more I hear some of Them Crooked Vultures' songs, the more I really dig 'em; for example, even though it sounded a bit awkward at first, I had "Reptiles" stuck in my head for almost a week!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I agree about Bonamassa. I want to like him a lot more than I actually do, based on the music I've heard. Never seen him live.

What I find exciting about Black Country is that, unlike most "supergroups" where you can't imagine how the members even met, let alone what they might sound like together (which often ends up being a watered-down mish-mash of styles), I think there is a definite similarity of influences/style between Bonamassa/Hughes/Bonham. I also think each has something to prove - Hughes is respected amongst musicians and hard-core fans, but few other people know of him. Bonamassa is huge, within a certain core audience. And Bonham is known to be a talent, but has never really had a band to make a mark in (at least not since the eighties).

So, there could be something really interesting to come, at least musically.

Steven

"And the guitar players look damaged

They've been outcasts all their lives"

-Jagger/Richards-

What I find exciting about Black Country is that, unlike most "supergroups" where you can't imagine how the members even met, let alone what they might sound like together (which often ends up being a watered-down mish-mash of styles), I think there is a definite similarity of influences/style between Bonamassa/Hughes/Bonham.

So, there could be something really interesting to come, at least musically.

Great point. Most supergroups really don't work out well for me. (Them Crooked Vultures excluded)

As far as Bonamassa is concerned... Go see him!! I don't think you'll be disappointed. I always enjoy his shows, despite the fact that his genre and/or style is completely different from what I generally listen to.

Joe started playing at the age of 4, B.B. asked him to open at the age of 12. I have a few of his CD's but I think he'd be best live. I look forward to when he slows down a bit, too blues-rock for me most of the time but very tasty chops if you give him a chance.

L.B.

I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I'm not familiar with Derek Sherinian. Guess I'll have to Google him. I only have one Bonamossa CD but I like it quite a bit. Sounds like this could be a pretty cool group. I haven't really checked out the Vultures but I did get Chickenfoot. Chickenfoot isn't super awesome but I'm a big Satch fan so I can put up with Sammy's "jock rock" lyrics I think. I was hoping for more "funk" or groove in Chickenfoot with the drummer from the Chili Peppers.

Huge Joe Bonamassa fan, I'm definitely looking forward to it. His new solo album comes out March 23rd. Saw him live in Orlando a couple months ago and it was a great show.
Mutiple award-winning, original BRC (blues/rock/country) at http://www.zeyerband.com, http://www.myspace.com/zeyerband and http://www.soundclick.com/zeyer - check us out!

I'm interviewing Glenn Hughes on Monday concerning this project. I can't wait, Glenn is an even cooler person than he is a great musician.

Everyone involved is VERY excited. Kevin Shirley (producer) says that Derek is mostly playing "distorted Hammond organ." They have twelve songs written, and are recording as a band, not a mail it in ProTools project. Could well be THE sleeper of the year.

I recently blogged on Black Country:

http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/

Today, I blogged on Gary Moore, who's doing some rock work again here soon. Also, over on facebook, I'm always talking classic rock and guitars. Please join me!

peace, tony conley

only love is real,all else is illusion

http://rockguitardaily.blogspot.com/

I can't wait for this one. I've followed Glenn since the early days with Trapeze. I just think the guy can't do anything wrong. Oh, and I love Chickenfoot too. I guess it's that old school vibe that appeals to me. Rock players just seem to get better once they get older (like myself) and settle in to let the music dictate their lives. Some of the young guys are too focused on the glitz and rockstar lifestyle, and it shows in the music....JMO
Jimi made me do it!

Dude basically anything Dave Grohl touches turns to gold. That guy is my favorite musician in rock. In my opinion, one of the most productive musicians ever. He is up there with like Phil Collins, Stevie Wonder, in terms of flat out talent and productivity.

I mean he can write in any style. He could whip out a country tune as easily as a metal tune, or a ballad, pop. But on top of that he is a badass drummer with a complete style.

Don't know how the guy ever relaxes. He was downright intimidating to watch when I saw him play with FF. I mean to have THAT amount of energy and still sing on pitch running around going sick..

It really makes my day to hear that there are still guys Grohl out there, really committed to his art without being self-consciously "arty" about it. Folks like that insure there will be a rock scene for a few more years, if not longer. Go man, go!!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

100% agree with Grohl statements. Been watching him since the Nirvana days to present. I've seen a few interviews with him and he's just a class act; very talented musican/song writer and just a downright decent human being.

I don't remember what show it was or interview, but if you can find it, it's hilarious. He tells the story about his interview for the drumming job with Nirvana and later talking to Kurt about an after-interview party that Kurt was not at.

Archived