Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Entwistle Pickups

jlrush

Has anyone heard of or used these pickups before? According to the ad they are made in the UK and are recently available in the US. I'm curious about the real bang for your buck, and wonder if they're so cheap because they're new to this market or if I should pass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ENTWISTLE-PBX-P-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Adjustable-Poles-HOT_W0QQitemZ120522269017QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item1c0fafe159

Thanks in advance for any info you may have about them.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8.4 K ohm sounds like it might be more of a vintage "old school" P Bass tone. If that's what you want, try 'wm, you about can't go wrong for less than $30. If you want a pickup that will make your P Bass wake up and snarl,try these. They cost a few bux more, but they are hotter.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Yeah, totally, but have you tried the quadruple-poled directional neodymium noiseless pickups? That's the stuff. It's like built-in talent.- Your Mom's Pimp

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I hope they work for you, Entwhistle's sound is well-worth trying to achieve.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

These have nothing to do with, nor have any connection to John Entwistle.

They are made by an Alan Entwistle. I had a set of Entwistle-White Strat-style single rails and they were *very* vintage-sounding - about 4.8K.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

These have nothing to do with, nor have any connection to John Entwistle.

They are made by an Alan Entwistle.

Yep, I saw that in the ad.

by jlrush in 3rd post - So does a pickup with a higher ohm value translate to more power (volume, distortion) output?

Can anyone tell me the answer to this question?

www.themojoroots.com

Generally speaking (with the odd exception - depends on the design) the more wire is wound onto the spools, the higher the resistance and the more the output, *but* the mids are boosted, the highs are attenuated, & the bass might get muddy as the resistance is increased.

8.4K would, indeed, sound 'Old School', probably sounding a little scooped with excellent bass & good treble definition. I've used 10K P pups & was very pleased with the tone - quite even to my ears.

The huge pup in the Gibson EB0 & its like were 31K and weren't called 'Mudbuckers' for no reason!! :D

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I can tell you this: over-wound guitar pickups are popular with high-distortion players, but the tone is awful, muddy, and lacking in highs and definition. So if you always play with your TerboCrumpus DistortoMatic pedal on ten, extra-hot guitar pickups are just the ticket.

I can't say how this translates to bass, as I've never investigated bass pickup technology. I just know that I like a lot of low end, but I need definition in the sound, not mud.

I also don't know how it works for bass players, but most of the best guitar players play stock guitars with stock pickups. Not that the replacements don't have value, but we all mess around tweaking up our instruments to some mystic (and expensive) godhead, then notice one day that Leslie West used a Les Paul Junior, Clapton started out with Les Pauls, Teles, and stock Strats, etc etc.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Thanks for the info guys. I've never been much of a gear head for all these years and it's been nice to have you guys help out while I'm trying to learn.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived