Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha U1

Keyrick

My old Hardman upright is on it's last legs. My piano tuner say's "Don't call me again" and I really don't blame him, the thing is about 80 years old!

I found a very nice used Yamaha U1 for sale for $3,700 and it is in really nice condition cosmetically. I played it right next to a brand new one and I liked it a little better than the new one as the action was not quite as stiff. I guess that's to be expected. So I was wondering, what is your take on the Yammy U1? This is for my living room and I will use it for fun and for learning songs.

Rick

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had one for around 10 years and had no problems. I like the tone and action (which I would call medium). Haven't had any mechanical issues - although one key (second G above middle C) always goes out of tune a couple weeks before the rest of the piano.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

U1 is a very nice piano. I think that price is on the high end for used, but really depends on the age and condition of the piano. Can you figure out the age of the piano and how well it has been maintained? The only real complaint that folks have about aging Yamaha pianos is they can become brighter and brighter over time and it is difficult to remove that brightness via piano tuner work.

There is a great forum called Piano World where you could probably dig up dozens, if not hundreds of posts on the U1 to learn more.

Hey Eric, thanks for the info. I'm not sure of how old it is, but I will find out. This was in a piano store (Keyboard Concepts) and they are a Yamaha dealer. And in the showroom, it seemed as nice as the new one cosmetically. I'll check out Piano World.

Thanks again.

Rick

I would get the U3 for the better bass response, it has longer strings.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived