Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dumb Question on Guitar Effects With Expression Pedal Input

ambienttales

Just wondering , as the more I read on the web the more I get confused. I am trying to figure out the approriate expression pedal to use on a few pedals , One is a Boss SL-20 Slicer , the other is a pedal I plan to get (hopefully) the new Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy and any others that may come down the line. I have a M-Audio Sustain pedal that I use with a M-Audio Radium Midi Controller and also have a Expression Pedal and cabling that came with a M-Audio Black Box Multi effects unit

I had been using digital modeling multi effect/amp modeling/cab modeling units (Line6 PODXT, a Vox Tonelab (desktop model) in a Atomic reactor 18 watt Tube slave amp or recording direct through a Tascam US-122 (or running the microphones through the Tascam into Garageband on a Mac Computer, I added a E-H SMMH, The Boss Slicer and a E-H 2880 Super Looper with the E-H 2880 foot controller. I have read all sorts of stuff regarding what brand or type or impedence pedal and also diffferent cabling options (A stereo 1/4 in and mono 1/4 Y out if I wrote that right)I have some other pedals also that do not have a expression input and a Roger Linn Adrennalinn III (was a II but I bought the two chip update kit, replaced the version II chips and put on the new face plate, sounds much better (and use that as well in the Atomic Amp) some of the pedals have stereo and I have a Vox Pathfinder 15 watt (non reverb to use) or go direct

with one of the outs (I may or may not get the Deluxe Memory Boy Right away, NAMM 2010 sure had some cool gear (prior to the event The E-H Cathedral Reverb was at the top of my list and I think it still is. Its a very cool sounding reverb pedal and that infinate sustain setting I really. really like (some droning and looping options for sure!

Peace

Any Input would sure be appreciated

? is The Moog EP2 a correct one and someone else mentioned the Boss pedal and another Ernie Ball (basically I am need of the correct type and specs .. ) Brands and prices will go to next

ambienttales

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Epiphone Elitist '57 Goldtop

Line 6 Variax 500 & Workbench

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

Seynour Duncan Shape-Shifter

eMac

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the question?

(Hint: a bit more in the way of punctuation - full stops etc - might help clarify what's going on up there!)

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

They both use a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) "stereo" Y-cable to connect to a typical passive (NOT powered) volume-pedal; almost any passive volume-pedal will probably do.

(The cable has a single stereo TRS plug going to two mono TS plugs- don't let the different plug types on it confuse or worry you. Oh, and whether a pedal has stereo or mono ins and/or outs has nothing to do with this, other than its expression-pedal jack, which is often- as in the Slicer and DMB- a "stereo" jack, to save using two separate mono-jacks for the connection.)

The mono, passive Ernie Ball volume-pedals- great quality, virtually indestructible!- are an excellent choice, I've used one for this.

I don't know much about the Moog EP-2; if it's essentially a passive volume-pedal, or at least interchangeable with one in an expression-pedal application, it will do, but it doesn't look as sturdy as the Ernie Ball pedals. (But most other pedals don't, either! :D )

Connecting via a Y-cable:

The stereo TRS plug connects to the input-jack on the Slicer or DMB, and the other two "mono"/TS plugs go to the in and out jacks of the volume-pedal. If it works backwards, simply swap the two plugs going to the in and out of the volume-pedal.

Or, you can get a Roland EV-5 expression pedal, which will connect to the jack on your Slicer; it will also most likely work fine for your DMB, as well.

Now, for sweeping foot-control of individual knobs where there is no provision for an "expression pedal", there is the T.I.P. 3rd-Hand controller pedal, which connects mechanically to a pot-shaft after removing the external knob (simple, easy, reversible, relax). I gave one to a pedal-mad friend as a gift, and wish I'd gotten one or two for myself! :D

___________________ http://www.musictoyz.com/images/jpg/tip1.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Cavean, Thanks for the info and picture as well and

terrel thanks for your advice as well

and GeeooffB my apologies for my poor typing skills and rambling post, Perhaps I am making the issue to hard besides my poor typing,

basically its what type of expression pedal is normally used when a effects pedal (Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy or Boss Slicer the SL-20, I would think there would be a "standard type" (with exceptions) and is any specific cabling required when the effect pedal (with a expression pedal option and one is used) when that specific pedal is in the signal chain (I use a E-H 2880Looper which has its own seperate foot controller but a expression pedalis not part of it) So to control options on the E-H Deluxe Memory Boy (or just the Memory Boy itself, that pedal also has a expression pedal input and depending on the 3 way switch on the top the expression pedal can control chorus, delay, or vibrato) Once again I apologize for my typing and You are certainly correct in your observations "Whats the question"

Peace

ambienttales

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

Cavean,

You have shown light on info that I was unable to locate (clearly) I found pedals but very little info,

One question by passive (NOT powered volume pedal ) what (just curious) would a powered volume pedal do and I assume that is why its a "active pedal"

I do have Y-Cable I will check the ends , I do think when I bought it it has a TRS (at the single end) and mono and the two or split/Y ends its a Monster Cable, will check that out and prices on the pedal as well.

Many Thanks

ambienttales

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

LarryZ

Thanks for your input, please let me know how hings work out

ambientales :wave:

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

Cavean,

The T.I.P 3rd hand looks familiar, I think I will get the expression pedal straightened out and any cables(If I do not have the Y) and go from there and jam, I think I saw the 3rd hand in a online web site or a gear magazine?

Thanks again!

ambienttales :wave::poke::rawk:

ambienttales

Circuit-Bending

Gibson Blueshawk

Atomic Reactor Amp

Podxt

Vox Tonelab

Adrennalinn 111

E-H SMMH

E-H 2880&FC

eMac

You need a passive volume pedal (it just has a volume-pot, similar to what's usually in a guitar; no batteries or phantom-power or anything, no boosting or buffering) for this kind of expression-pedal duty, because the device that you're controlling with it sends out a specific voltage and receives back whatever the volume-pedal allows to pass through. If it were an active/powered volume-pedal that boosts or buffers the signal, it'll be inaccurate at best, and possibly damaging at worst.

The whole deal with the 1-stereo/2-mono Y-cord and volume-pedal here is that it's like placing the volume-pedal in a sort of effects-loop that uses a stereo insert for both send and return, and it controls the assigned parameter by affecting the voltage-signal (but not the audio-signal) that is applied there.

IIRC, I first saw the T.I.P. 3rd-Hand mechanical pot-turning pedal on MusicToyz.com ,and I believe that that was where I ordered one to be sent to a friend of mine as a gift.

Best of luck, and keep us posted- let us know how (and what) you do with that

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived