Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pilgrimage to low-end Mecca

Groove Mama

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I try and make the pilgrimage to BassNW at least twice a year.

I have only been there once in person. I purchased something while I was there (Bergantino EX112).

Before that, I had purchased plenty from them. Bergantino HT112, Demeter VTBP-201s, Stewart World 2.1, and a Rob Allen MB-2. They have always been top shelf when it comes to customer service.

Honestly, what would your mother say?

She would likely tell you to mind your business unless you want to work.

Huh? Well, whatever. Like I say, "slightly offensive." I grew up with two older brothers, so I've probably already heard every insult known to man, and it takes a fair amount to really get under my skin. I was just a little surprised, because this is normally a pretty civilized forum. But I won't take it personally. Nice to meet you, Your Mom's Pimp.

By the way, YO MAMA!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

YMP -

Was returning to KPR from Ohio after my daughter graduated college. Was boarding a plane from Chi-town to SeaTac when the gentleman of an older couple in the seat behind me notice me shoving a gig bag into the overhead storage (note: a 34" Fender WILL fit into the overhead of a 737). He asked what kind of bass I had. Well, I was impressed that he saw it as a bass rather than a guitar. As it turns out, it was Kurt's mom and dad (as in Kurt of BassNW ownership fame). Very nice couple, quite proud of their son. I can see where Kurt gets it from.

Small friggin' world.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I have been very close to buying items at BC and BassNW, but backed out last minute, both good experiences. The only other retailer Ive used recently (when I'm not buying useless crap from musiciansfriend) is theperfectbass down in Louisiana. Nice folks.

• 1 month later...

I keep hoping to make it to BASSNW some day. I've had plenty of reasons to visit Seattle for the past ten years, but it's been about that long since I've gone.

I bought my Yammie BB-415 from them last week, and earlier bought Stewart World 1.2 power amp and a since-sold SWR Mo'bass Pre-amp (I forget which name was for the pre-amp and which was for the integrated amp that I owned earlier).

My next purchase from them has been planned for three years. Originally it was to be a Bergie HT115 to replace my Aguilar GS112, then the iP112 came along and as someone who works for the inventor of powered speakers, I was pretty well hooked on that idea but couldn't afford it at the time.

Now I'm torn between that and the Bag End powered single 15" cabinet, which I tried at NAMM and found very flat, but Jim Bergantino doesn't go to NAMM anymore so there was no way to compare in the same listening session. Nor have I seen an iP112; only the HT112 and HT115.

I've had some dealings with some of the other major bass specialty vendors but find Bass Northwest and The Low End Bass to be the most degtailed and helpful overall in their interactions. The others are quite good as well, but I've established long relationships with the two mentioned above.

BASSNW also did a great job of moving my high-end Warwick 6-string through-neck Thumb bass a few years back, and if my Esh doesn't sell soon I'll send it up there for consignment. They're probably the only shop that I really trust with a boutique bass consignment at this point. When you've been done well once, it pays to do return business at the same place.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I bought my Yammie BB-415 from them last week, and earlier bought Stewart World 1.2 power amp and a since-sold SWR Mo'bass Pre-amp (I forget which name was for the pre-amp and which was for the integrated amp that I owned earlier).

Mini Mo was the preamp.

Yeah, those BassNW cats are good eggs.

Archived