Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pilgrimage to low-end Mecca

Groove Mama

I'll be in Orlando at the end of next week and can't leave town without a visit to Bass Central.

Alas, so many basses, so little time.

Any suggestions on which ones I absolutely must strap on and slap on while I'm there? Thanks.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweetie, strap on anything with a price tag over $1500, and you'll have a great time, not only playing great fish, but also watching the clerks sweat. :D

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Sweetie, strap on anything with a price tag over $1500, and you'll have a great time, not only playing great fish, but also watching the clerks sweat. :D

+1. Go for anything Dingwall.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

I saw the thread title and wondered if Wal-Mart had started renting space to Mosques. :freak:

Hey, Griff, is that supposed to be a racist comment? :-)

I saw the thread title and wondered if Wal-Mart had started renting space to Mosques. :freak:

No, he said "Low end Mecca" - I immediately thought "discount", which led me to "Wal-Mart" - a mosque at a Wal-Mart would be a "low-end Mecca". :D

No, he said "Low end Mecca" - I immediately thought "discount", which led me to "Wal-Mart" - a mosque at a Wal-Mart would be a "low-end Mecca". :D

Oh, I picked up on all that. I'm just yankin' yer chain.

Anything behind the counter is in the "No Stairway to Heaven" section. Time limits and all.

Try every amp they have set up there. Personally, I'd suggest any Dingwall they have on tap, an Alembic or two from behind the counter, an MTD and maybe a Roscoe if there's one to be had.

Oh, I picked up on all that. I'm just yankin' yer chain.

Was this some sort of spillover from a thread I missed? :confused:

Back on subject:

Play the Mike Lull M4V. That's the model I have.

You should also play an F Bass and an MTD USA and a Roscoe. You aren't going to see those in very many places, so you might as well get your hands on one when you can.

Try out the Ribbeke acoustic bass guitar. It's amazing and only $4365.

wouldn't "Low-end Macca" be Jesse McCartney?

Speaking of McCartney, would you believe this life-long Paul fan has never touched a Hofner? Hmmmm...need to add that one to my list.

I'll 'second' Jeremy's recommendation of Lulls and Roscoes:

- they gots 'em and I wants 'em.

Last time we had a LowDown meeting there all of us found something we liked. If I remember correctly, that was Davio's 1st time with a Dingwall; proving that you never forget your first...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Last time we had a LowDown meeting there all of us found something we liked. If I remember correctly, that was Davio's 1st time with a Dingwall; proving that you never forget your first...

Haha. I can see the headlines now: "Nancy Does Dingwall." Can't wait!

That's probably better than "Nancy Does Roscoe." You might not live that one down...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

That's probably better than "Nancy Does Roscoe." You might not live that one down...

It could be worse - substitute "Wishbass" for any of the above.

(Personally, I love my Roscoes!)

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Both shops are top-notch. I grew up in Tampa (less than 2 hours drive from Bass Central) and a contingent of my family is in and around the Seattle area (which makes for good visits).

I've read some bad stuff about some people's experiences with Bass Central. Not that many...but those who write about it are quite vocal (probably due to more heinous offenses). Many people who shop for high-end gear at high-end prices expect to have their asses kissed by the sales people (if I dropped a couple Gs on an instrument, I'd probably want that too). Sometimes you'll get that there and sometimes you won't. I've never had a bad experience of any kind with them other than email inquiries getting lost in the fray from time to time...but then, if I'm really serious about buying something there I call or go in.

BC's website sucks big time. Period. It does. Don't try to argue. Their lack of maintinence on said website is at least as bad as the site itself.

Also, depending on current business flow, Beaver and the gang might be very accomodating...or they might not. Only a small percentage of their business goes through the store front. When they're in face-to-face mode, they're awesome people. When they're distracted, it's hard to get them to give you the time of day. Not a good way to do business, but again - most of their business isn't face-to-face. I think the store is there more because some companies (like Dingwall) don't deal with a retailer unless they have a brick and mortar shop.

Blahblahblah...what I'm saying is that they have all kinds of fun toys to play with but their service can be hit or miss. I haven't had a miss yet but I know others have.

Also, it might help if you go in and buy some strings or something just so they know you're not just wasting their time when they could be filling warehouse orders.

Also, depending on current business flow, Beaver and the gang might be very accomodating...or they might not.

They all have the same prices and selection these days. Way to differentiate.

Am I the only one who see's the irony here? Your Moms Pimp commenting on a post containing the words beaver and gang?

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Am I the only one who see's the irony here? Your Moms Pimp commenting on a post containing the words beaver and gang?

Speaking as "Funkslap Mama" -- and as an actual maternal-type mother myself -- I find the moniker "Your Moms Pimp" slightly offensive. Honestly, what would your mother say?

It's Maury being a rabblerouser...rabblerabblerabble...

Just to clarify, I have not gone out of my way (other than the drive from Tampa) to shop at Bass Central. It was the most convenient way to check out high-end gear while I lived there and I've made a few used purchases there (my old AccuGroove Bill Dickens, for example...which I also first tried AG cabs on that first visit, coincidentally).

Maybe I have a nicer impression of the place because I always viewed it like a toy store where I went to play when I was a kid knowing that I probably wouldn't get anything to take home out of the trip.

I don't think I've ever bought anything from Bass NW. Just messed around every time I was in town so I have a very good impression of that place too. Most of my significant purchases have been online and used from the previous owner. I also have nothing but good things to say about the dealings I've had with Jong @ Jive Sound in DC.

Did I ever thell you about that amazing Toys R Us where I set up an epic battle between G.I. Joe and X-Men?

Archived