Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behold: Custom keytar (DIY, photos inside!)

bloodyMary

...there are so many different keybeds to choose

Waterfall with aftertouch would be nice :whistle: anyway there is an untapped market for the keytar so a message to all of the industry guys who hang around here MAKE A GOOD ONE not toyish, not a monstrosity like the ax-synth (it's too damm big) not a novelty, not an uber expensive prop (zen riffer with that leg) but something elegant and expressably playable, the AX-1 and Lync are the best starting basis

IF YOU BUILD IT....

IT WILL SALE....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF YOU BUILD IT....

IT WILL SALE....

Roland built the AX-7 up til a few years ago. Pretty similar to the AX-1 and it was $495 new. Not sure why they discontinued it - seemingly at a time when they'd be making a comeback, and they had the only one in production. I figured there just must not have been enough of a market for them, but now they come out with the Ax synth. I don't get it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Roland quit selling the AX7 just before the new interest in them really bit hard, they were never a big seller previously anyway, so Roland had these hanging around for a long time till it was not worth continuing...so they dumped them, perhaps too the run of bodies or specific parts? had run out and remanufacturing a new run seemed uneconomically viable.

guess what a year ater and they were hot again, but roland had ditched it prematurely or was it prematurely?,. Probably not in Rolands eyes.

How long do you hold onto a slow selling product,perhaps it was Rolands dumping of the AX7 that prompted everyone to say "I want one"...you see when something is readily available people think...oh I will get one one day., well they didnt but as soon as they are gone, "damn I really wanted one"

People always want things after its gone.It was just Roland's bad luck to not be manufacturing or was it Roland's non manufacturing that caused the reinterest in this time warped instrument.

Any way my mint AX1 went for good money just after I heard the annoucement of the AX Synth...

Personally I think the new one is too bulky and really Roland should have created simply a controller for a cheap price, as to be honest I think the big market for these controllers is the broke wannabee muso, you know the 19 year old who saw their fav band playing one, these guys cant afford the AX Synth price, they want a cheaper alternative,often they have a cheap midi keyboard they can use as a sound module and if not perhaps roland could have marketed the keytar with a cheap module so wannabees could afford it, you could buy the keytar with or without the module...I am sure they could have rehashed an old module into a quater size module box cheaply

or a keytar that takes plug in modules, from all manufacturers, buy it as a controller and buy the cheap module from your fav manufacturer...wasnt there a card system like that years ago. "you heard this one from me"

ps ...for me ,the roland should be wireless midi, with aplication for a wireless mic insert [ie the mic is worn and simply plugs into keytar.

ps ...for me ,the roland should be wireless midi, with aplication for a wireless mic insert [ie the mic is worn and simply plugs into keytar.

Now you're on to something - if you're going to have a synth engine in there, make it a vocoder. sell it with a headset mic that can switch between direct dry vocal and vocoder wirelessly back to a rackmount module. Or better yet, just send the MIDI and vocal wirelessly and put the vocoder and separate key/vocal outputs in a rackmount module with dry vocal switching remotely controlled from the keytar.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I chose a short, two-octav keybed because I wanted something portable, size of a guitar. Keytars are played one handed anyway, so it's bass lines, pads or simple leads anyway, so two octaves are ok. Stuffing more electronics inside.. Possible. It's currently very thin, maybe inch and a half, so I could add another inch of depth and it'd give a lot of space for circuit boards. Could be a wireless audio+midi interface, but it'd make things expensive.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Archived