Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Stylus RMX for me?

mate stubb

I need a drum vst that inspires me to practice and compose.

One that introduces nuances and fills intelligently with a minimum of fuss, yet can be specified down to the single hit when it's time to do detailed recording.

It needs to swing like a real drummer, too.

Is Stylus RMX the one, or should I be looking at something else. I already have EZ Drummer, but have not bonded with it.

Moe

---

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stylus RMX is an extremely flexible REX file player with a collection or urban beats and groove elements. The only kind of swing it has is whats in the loops it plays, or quantizing.

The Chaos feature, which introduces various kinds of randomization to the playback of the REX slices, can introduce fills and variation, but it can also sound like random bad drumming.

For creative playback of REX loops, (Well, technically you need to convert REX files to work with RMX, but it comes with a utility for that so it's very easy.) it's the best I can think of. As far as behaving like a drummer and sounding like one... not the most intuitive, and mostly dependent on what loops you feed it. The plug it's self actually doesn't come with a lot of acoustic loops, mostly beat stuff.

In short, probably not.

GIGO

I need a drum vst that inspires me to practice and compose.

One that introduces nuances and fills intelligently with a minimum of fuss, yet can be specified down to the single hit when it's time to do detailed recording.

It needs to swing like a real drummer, too.

This definitely swings. I can vouch for the drummer, my long time friend who has played on two of my CDs, Kendall Kay. Paul Carman is also a world class Sax player, so the whole project is one of high integrity.

http://www.paulcarman.com/store/home.php

It is only the one style and obviously not has much control or detail has a vst plug in BUT, I've heard some rather convincing student recordings using these tracks.

I guess it comes down to do you want it more for practice and musical inspiration within the Jazz genre or more for recording and the ability to manipulate and really fine tune tracks in different styles. One thing's for sure---the price is right.

If you do go this route, tell Paul I said hi.

edit---I only wish Paul would have followed through on the other styles listed at the bottom of his home page. Having a straight 8th/ECM type groove would be a must for me. The Hip Hop/Funk things in a Jazz mode would be very cool has well some Latin things. I don't know why these haven't been made yet.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Archived