Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

songs in E tuning

duff beer

Hi everyone. I play bass and only dabble with guitar. The "Songs in C" thread triggered this post.

One of the songs I have learned is "She Talks to Angels", which is done with the guitar tuned to an E chord. Since I only have one guitar, I have to retune to play other songs. Can any one here suggest some other songs that I can learn while in E chord tuning? "She Talks to Angels" is close to the limit of my playing ability at the moment...but feel free to suggest more difficult songs that I can work on in the future, or that other more skilled forumites can try.

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a boatload of them in E or D (same thing). You're So Good for Me (Humble Pie) That's All You Need (Rod Stewart) come to mind. I do my own version of Love the one You're With (Steve Stills) and 4 and 20 in E or D.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

"Little Martha" by the Allman Bro's was in Open-D, right? (The version released on the excellent Dreams box-set included the bass, too, if that's of any benefit to you.) So...

Open-E and Open-D are the same, as far as their string-to-string interval relationships; just a whole-step up 'n' down from each other, Open-E being E B E G# B E, and Open-D being D A D F# A D, lo-to-hi. So I'll copy & paste what I typed elsewhere for tunes in Open-D:

IIRC, "She Talks To Angels" by The Black Crowes is in Open-D with a capo slapped on at the 2nd-fret (effectively Open-E).

Speakin' o' crows, I think that one of the guitarists in Counting Crows uses Open-D a lot.

IIRC, isn't one of the guitars in the Rolling Stones' "Street Fighting Man" in Open-D? And one of the many guitars in "Wild Horses"? "Jumping Jack Flash"? "You Can't Always Get What You Want"?

I think that "Draw The Line" by Aerosmith, and George Thorgood's cover of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love" either were, or can be, played in Open-D tuning...

IIRC, "Big Yellow Taxi" by Joni Mitchell is in Open-E, which is the same, intervalic-wise, as Open-D, just a whole-step up; same fingerings, just transposed in pitch...

And everything that Duane Allman and Derek Trucks (or anyone else) have done in Open-E, slide or fretted, can be done in Open-D, either transposed down a whole-step, or using a capo at the 2nd-fret. I guess a lot of Robert Johnson's stuff was in Open-E, too, so...

Think maybe ya might start beltin' out "Tangled Up In Blue" now, man? :thu:

You can take a lot of things that Keith Richards (or anyone else) plays in Open-G, and play 'em in Open-D by shifting the fingering over/down one string to the bass-side of the fretboard, and up five frets. Keith never did use the 6th-string when he played in Open-G, so you won't miss it when transposing is Op/G stuff to Op/D like this, and you've gained another high string for chord-extensions and melodic stuff.

Open-D lends itself easily to a lot of rootsy Rockabilly riffin' type stuff, in general; think Bo Diddley, late '50s greasers, Link Ray, George Thorogood type thoughts, and bash away.

NOT QUITE OPEN-D, BUT ONLY A FEW TUNER-TWISTS AWAY: Want some tab and notation, courtesy of Gibson Lifestyle? With most of the year to practice 'em, you can learn "Joy To The World" in Double-Dropped-D and "Auld Lang Syne" in Dropped-D for the Holidays... I know, they're not in Open-D, but when their respective Holidays roll around, you can start with one or the other, and then move on to some of your other Open-D tunes with a twist of a peg or two...

"Vestapol" tuning is the exact same thing as Open-D, or sometimes E; aka Vastapol or Sebastapol. There are LOADS of old blues and rootsy and folksy stuff that was done in that. Here's a huge list of old songs- mostly old, mostly blues- played WITHOUT a slide in Open-D (or capoed in that tuning, or in relative tunings with the same intervals) that I ran across searchin' just now:

Big Bill Broonzy

Joe Turner Blues

Blind Blake

Down in the Country

Police Dog Blues

Blind Boy Fuller

Little Woman You're So Sweet

Blind Connie Williams

"Philidelphia Street Singer" Inc. Milky White Way

Blind Willie Johnson

Everybody Ought To Treat A Stranger Right (pitched at F)

If I Had My Way I'd Tear This Building Down (pitched at F)

I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge (pitched at G)

Jesus Is Coming Soon (pitched at G)

John The Revelator (pitched at E)

Take Your Burden To The Lord And Leave It There (pitched at Eflat)

The Rain Don't Fall On Me (pitched at F)

The Soul Of A Man--4/20/30 (pitched at E)

Trouble Will Soon Be Over (pitched at F)

When The War Was On (pitched at Eflat)

Bo Carter

Ain't Nobody Got It

Ants In My Pants

Baby, When You Marry

Backache Blues

Blue Runner Blues

Bo Carter Special

Cigarette Blues

Dinner Blues

Don't Mash My Digger So Deep

Fifty Fifty With Me

Flea On Me

Got to Work Somewhere

I Love That Thing

It's Too Wet

I've Got a Case of Mashin' It

Mashing That Thing

Mean Feeling Blues

New Auto Blues

Pig Meat Is What I Crave

Ram Rod Daddy

Sorry Feeling Blues

Sue Cow

Buddy Hubbard

So Sweet

Clifford Gibson

Old Timey Rider

Ice and Snow Blues

Doc Watson

The Train That Carried My Girl From Town

Sittin' on Top of the World

Dr. Ross

Going To The River

Doug Quattlebaum

You Is One Black Rat

Sweet Little Woman

Ed Bell

Rosca Mama Blues

Eddie Harris w/Jimmy Lee Harris

I Wanna Ramble

Elizabeth Cotten

Vastapol

Emry Arthur

Reuben Oh Reuben

Furry Lewis

Big Chief Blues

Georgia Yellow Hammers

Rip Van Winkle Blues

Hobart Smith

K.C. Blues

Jesse Thomas

Another Friend Like Me

Jessie Clarence Gorman

Goin' Up The Country, #1 and #2

Jimmy Lee Harris

Sitting Here Looking 1000 Miles Away

John Byrd

Old Timbrook

John Jackson

Reuben

Steamboat Whistle Blues

John Lee Ziegler

If I Lose, Let Me Lose

Josh White

Careless Love

Good Gal

Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed

I Don't Intend To Die In Egypt-land

Lord, I Want To Die Easy

John Henry

J. W. Warren

When Your Gal Packs Up And Leaves

Rabbit On A Log

You're Gonna Miss Me

Lonzie Thomas

Rabbit On A Log

Raise A Ruckus Tonight

Red Cross Store

Memphis Willie B.

Brownsville Blues

Worried Man Blues

Mike Seeger

Birmingham Tickle

Gamblin' Man

We Live a Long, Long Time

Mississippi John Hurt

If You Don't Want Me

Pay Day

Ten Virgins

Othar Turner

Black Woman

Bumble Bee

Pete Harris

Alabama Bound

Robert Johnson

He'll Make A Way

Robert Wilkins

That's No Way to Get Along

Roy Harvey and Leonard Copeland

Weary Lonesome Blues

Sam McGee

Drummer Boy

Knoxville Blues

Guitar Waltz

Scott Dunbar

Memphis Mail

Tarheel Slim

180 Days

'Fore Day Creep

No Time At All

So Sweet, So Sweet

Teddy Williams

Black Mattie

Uncle Dave Macon accompanied by Sam McGee

I've Got The Mourning Blues

William "Do-Boy" Diamond

Hard Time Blues

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

If you're a fingerstyle player, try Steve Morse's 'Modoc'.. Beautiful tune and fun to play.. I've played it at weddings and people love it even though they've never heard it before. Google the tab for it or you may find it on Steve's web site. Plus, it's just a cool song to listen to...

If you're a fingerstyle player, try Steve Morse's 'Modoc'.. Beautiful tune and fun to play.. I've played it at weddings and people love it even though they've never heard it before. Google the tab for it or you may find it on Steve's web site. Plus, it's just a cool song to listen to...

Good call!

And welcome to the GPF, kegmon!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived