Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Weighted Keys vs. Non-Weighted Keys...?

MuzikTeechur

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Federico, yes, I've spent some time with the Nano and the action seems to respond rather quickly, but unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try it with a sound source attached to it. So please take this first impression with a few grains of salt. :)

Hi Federico, yes, I've spent some time with the Nano and the action seems to respond rather quickly, but unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try it with a sound source attached to it. So please take this first impression with a few grains of salt. :)

Thanks Marino for this incredible fast answer. That's good, I'll try the Nano as soon as possible, I'm in search for a heavy yet responsive action.

With all the interest in the Nano, how can it still not be available in the U.S.? This is going on what, two years now? :confused:

On a related note, has anyone ever seen the Numa (white or black) in a U.S. store?

Well, the Nano has only reached Italian stores last month, so I guess it was delayed worldwide.

That said, Fatar/Studiologic has a bad history of USA distributors. I hope this time they will be able to get their act together.

The VMK-161 Plus Organ looks schweet, but I've got this particular BUMA about having a '76'; gotta have room to move...

We interrupt your regularly-scheduled program to bring you this important Public Service Announcement (PSA):

"BUMA", in U.S. military slang, is an acronym for "Bounce Up My Ass"

=========

Thank you for your attention.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled program.

Is There Gas in the Car? :cool:

Always thought it stood for "Bug Up My Ass"... Funny.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

my Yamaha CP-33 is pretty dang light for fully weighted 88 keys.

buy something else to stick on top for the sliders,knobs,etc.

(Edirol PCR-800 is ok, but a little too cheap-ish).

Best musical control AND cost this way...

Steve -

That's a good combination: lightweight 88, with a full MIDI controller on top.

The PCR-800 has been reliable, for me. Cheap-ish ? I've got mixed feelings on that. The buttons, knobs, and sliders feel durable; it's the extremely light shell that's often a pain (organ glisses sometimes cause the keyboard to gliss, as well; time for creative Velcro use, I suppose.).

The Akai MPK controllers I checked out at NAMM were a different breed: high quality construction all around, and a dense, hefty build. Definitely worth checking out. I'd have had an MPK pre-ordered yesterday if there was an MPK76 model.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

.......Last year I bought a Studiologic VMK-176 plus, which has served me well since. The touch is a bit light, but very progressive, with a continuous control of dynamics that I like a lot. Still, I like my action a bit stiffer than that. Plus, it does not have MIDI zones for splits and layers! .......

Marino -

With the light touch of the VMK-176, do you find it workable for the non-piano stuff - organ, synth, etc. ? I can work around the lack of zones, as I can set those up, if needed, in my Receptor, or via Mainstage. But having the front panel controls, plus 76 keys, would be great.

Always thought it stood for "Bug Up My Ass"... Funny.

Bug up my... makes more sense. But when you wrote it, I had no idea what it meant - even though my father was a Major in the USMC (and wouldn't let me forget it).

So I Googled it.

Matter of fact, there used to be a smart-alec guy 'round here who would always exclaim, "Google is your friend".

Whatever happened to him? I wanted to let him know that the words stick in my head to this day and... I don't Bing.

Oh... Hi Sven. :wave:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Edit: This response is for Allan

Well, yes - one of the things that I like in VMK is the fact that it allows me to play piano-style for hours without getting tired *and* without losing dynamic precision. It's light enough for non-piano work, for my hands at least. Perfect for EPs.

Of course, I find that the VMK action just happens to fit my playing very well. Needless to say, try to play one before you commit to a purchase. It has no velocity curves, so if you don't like its response, you're stuck.

http://www.fatar.com/Studiologic/images/numanano2.jpg

Numa Nano Specifications

I tried the numa nano through a laptop at NAMM. Sounded great.

Their booth was unmanned every time I went back there so I couldn't ask them when it might come to the US. Pretty frustrating!!

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

OK, I've played the Nano again for a while, and I can be a bit more specific. The response is nice and firm, the rebounce quick, and the overall feel very good. A few things I'm not crazy about are a rather short throw of the key (like in recent Roland DPs), and the fact that the keys, once at the bottom of their travel, push your fingers back up just *a bit* too much. Nothing too off-putting, but noticeable.

And now, they've announced the "Numa Piano"...!! :freak:

Archived