Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAWs -Platform? Which Platform? (and interfaces)

wraub

I don't really see the difference between Cubase's MIDI sequencer and Reason's (or Logic or Pro Tools, for that matter). They all are essentially piano roll editors with different aesthetics.... Abelton's Live is really the only DAW out there that really has a different take on the whole thing.

I agree somewhat and I disagree somewhat.

To my mind, there are two classes, those that started life as MIDI sequencers, and those that started as audio recorders.

I grasp the audio recorders faster than the sequencers, because that was my background.

In terms of a 'different' approach, I feel that Samplitude, with it's Object Oriented Editing paradigm, is the only one doing something unique... and that has been copied by Sonar... so there ya go. Most people haven't spent the time that it takes to understand Object Oriented editing, which gave this old editing dog a lot of new tricks and greatly improved the workflow. (Either that, or they've been using Samp all along and don't know any other way.)

But the assertion that they are all basically piano roll editors... yeah... and cars are all basically cars, and basses are all basically basses... yet each person finds a comfort level with their particular car or bass that allows them to feel good and get done what they need to get done. It is not necessarily logical, but it is human.

I cannot tell you what the difference is between the interfaces of Sequoia and Samplitude. But the distributer sent Samplitude to me and I didn't 'get' it. They sent Sequoia to me, and for whatever reason, it locked right into my head. Then I looked at Samp again and darned, it is pretty close to the dame thing. No logic there. Just the moon, the day, what I had for dinner.... I can't explain it. We're all like that.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Bill, I totally agree with you. I wasn't debating the validity of different user interfaces for different people. I was implying that features are the last thing you need to worry about when considering the MIDI side of things. Every parameter in MIDI except for timing and pitch bend has a 128 set resolution, and there's only so much you can do to any note or group of notes. I think all of the major DAWs have MIDI sequencing down pat, with Digidesign being the last one to really come on board.

I've used Sequoia in the past for a client, and I really liked the features, but it was definitely a learning experience.

"For instance" is not proof.

I don't really see the difference between Cubase's MIDI sequencer and Reason's (or Logic or Pro Tools, for that matter). They all are essentially piano roll editors with different aesthetics.

It was close to five years ago that I came to this conclusion and maybe I didn't give Reason the chance it deserved. I do remember being frustrated with it after a good effort. Maybe that was purely aesthetics. Maybe I just couldn't see the beginning of an event as clearly. :laugh: Can't explain it really.

We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all.

For the time being I have decided to just get something done with all the files I have, and have been mixing new tunes via Kristal. I expect to have 5-7 tracks complete in the next couple of weeks.

I have been looking at interface devices (w/software), and will probably move the firewire card from my net pc to my music pc to facilitate the process. It seems as if a firewire interface would be the best bet for me pricewise/valuewise.

The process continues...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I've been having a blast with Reaper since I last visited this thread. I don't have any experience recording with it but I've been doing a bunch of editing and mixing and it's pretty fantastic for a free(ish) program. I've been considering picking up a Peavey PV 6 or 8 USB mixer as an interface for doing some home recording on the cheap.

Digital Performer all the way -- especially after the incredible new features in version 7.1, many of them directly applicable to bassists and guitarists (enhanced notation tools, built-in effects, amp modeling, etc.) -- though I don't personally use those features as I'm sticking with the outboard solutions already in place.

I've been using DP since version 3.5, and nearly had a nervous breakdown last year when I unsuccessfully tried to get my free copy of Cubase AI4 to pass MIDI signal (and I'm a MIDI expert and read the five Cubase manuals in depth many times).

It's a shame that few DAW's offer trial editions. Best thing is to find a friend or two (or three) with different DAW's and pester them to let you try them at their residence (fat chance).

As industries mature, the differences between competing programs tends to diminish overall. Logic and DP are more or less on par these days, depending on your needs (which can actually make a huge difference in matching to the best DAW). Even PT has MIDI now, though it's rather feeble and crippled. Sonar has had a few hiccups but is more or less on par with the Mac DAW's.

Reaper is a new paradigm and is very open-ended and customizable. This is either your style or it isn't, but they let you try it at least. I did and didn't like it; I prefer a more guided approach where the developer made some firm decisions.

PreSonus StudioOne is still in its infancy but is winning rave reviews everywhere. They too allow demos, and I recommend that you try it as they weren't bogged down with legacy and were able to take a fresh approach to workflow. There hasn't yet been a negative comment about that DAW, but most of us are already embedded with our choices so it's "too late".

Any DAW will take time to master, and even then, there will always be new things to learn or different ways of doing things that may save you time or keep your sanity on one type of project vs. another. I take different approaches on theatrical projects vs. film projects vs. CD-designated vs. jingles, etc.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived