Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reunion Songlist

reidmc

Late last year forum members were kind enough to suggest some good slow songs for a college reunion show I am playing this June. My college band, circa 1972, is returning from beyond the grave to do a dance set.

Our songlist is unlikely to be helpful to anyone here (Hot Burrito #1, It Doesn't Matter, Badge, My Back Pages, Listen to Her Heart etc) but we have compiled an alternative songlist that might be appropriate for bands playing high school and college reunions for audiences 55-64. Some of the best choices are below. Enjoy. . ..

Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult

Running on Empty - Jackson Browne

It's Too Late - Carole King

So Tired - Kinks

Out of Time - Rolling Stones

I'm Busted - Ray Charles

Young Girl, Get Out of My Mind - Gary Puckett

Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen

You get the idea. . .

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Letter

The Worst that Could Happen

Talk Talk

Pictures of Matchstick Men

We Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

I Fought The Law

We Gotta Get Out of This Place

Instant Karma

War

I just Wanna Make Love To You

Fortunate Son

Domino

I Hear You Knockin'

It Don't Come Easy

Black Magic Woman

Brown Sugar

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Unrelated to your list, but a note about playing reunions. Being an 80's band, we do a lot of mostly high school reunions for people who graduated in the 80's. Actually they've kind of tapered off because they were mostly 20 yr reunions and those are now over if you graduated in the 80s. But anyway.

The mistake the planners ALL make is to have the band start too early. When people are meeting up with friends they haven't seen in 20 yrs (or even 10), they don't care about a band, they don't want to dance, they want to hang out at the bar and catch up on old times. But be sure to leave adequate "catching up" time first.

Now in every case by the end of the night they were absolutely nuts (many falling down drunk), but all having a blast enjoying the music. The key is to give them a chance to catch up, THEN start the entertainment. If you have to change up the sets to where you do fewer but longer sets with not much break time to pack it all into the end of the night, then so be it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Been my experience, too. People want to catch up. They want to talk. They want to drink... then the fun starts, and they want to dance.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Been my experience, too. People want to catch up. They want to talk. They want to drink... then the fun starts, and they want to dance.

Yup - been there many times. Then when you quit at midnight or 1:00 AM (whatever the contract indicates), everyone is pissed off. :) At that point, we usually give them an extra half hour or so, free of charge.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Good picks Rich.

I forgot these, too. . .

It's All Over Now - Rolling Stones

Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne

Hey Grandma - Moby Grape

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Yup - been there many times. Then when you quit at midnight or 1:00 AM (whatever the contract indicates), everyone is pissed off. :) At that point, we usually give them an extra half hour or so, free of charge.

Why? That's the perfect time to make a bunch of extra money.... let the negotiations begin! If they really want you to play longer, they usually have no problem passing around a hat for extra cash, the alcohol really loosens up those wallets.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived