Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best string sounds on a rack mount?

pringe83

I am looking for a used (ebay) rack sound module to supplement the sounds on my Stage EX compact that would be found on the more workstation-like keyboards, specifically some decent string sounds.

Can anyone recommend any decent units, or offer any opinion on the string sounds of the motif / motif xs ? I've seen these on ebay but they are a way away from me and I wouldn;t get a chance to demo them!

Are any of the older sound-module type units any good for strings?

Thanks,

Steve

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about the motif rack, but the Kurzweil PC2R comes to mind - some other good sounds as well. A Kurz ME-1 has the same base sounds, but cannot have the Orchestral ROM (some good strings there) or the Classic Keys ROM - mellotrons, ARP strings, Rhodes, Wurlies, other stuff). However, the ME-1 can probably be found at a lower price. It also does not have the same effects as the PC2.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'd look at either a Motif ES or XS rack or Kurzweil PC2R.

I don't know what the strings are like on the Kurz, but I could tell you that the strings bank on the PC3 are out of this world! The PC2 doesn't use the same samples, but Kurz programmers have the orchestral thing nailed.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Archived