Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Streisand says she's boring.

NEW YORK (AP) - Barbra Streisand says one reason she gave up performing in public is that listening to her own songs is boring. "I never listen to my records for maybe 10 years. Then I can appreciate it, but really, I just get sick of it. That's why I gave up concerts - in addition to having stage fright and the exertion of singing 30 songs a night," the 61-year-old singer tells Reader's Digest in its October issue. Excerpts of the interview were released in advance. "It's boring to sing your own songs," she said. "I remember going into Tahoe once, and I sang all new material because I was so bored with mine. The reviews, 'How dare she not sing "People"?'" [img]http://www.barbrastreisand.com/images/image.jpg[/img]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMNSHO, one of the things that Barbie misses is that it's boring for anyone to listen to her songs. :bor:
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

[quote]Originally posted by TinderArts: [b]"It's boring to sing your own songs," she said. "I remember going into Tahoe once, and I sang all new material because I was so bored with mine. The reviews, 'How dare she not sing "People"?'"[/b][/quote]But didn't she pick these songs to begin with? Plus, we know she didn't write them, so what the hell is she even talking about? Has she been doing the same material for forty years? And she hardly ever performs anyway! Has anyone ever gotten such a huge reputation for so little? Pre-J-Lo, that is.

It's just me, but I wouldn't pay that much to see her. 'Course, I wouldn't go see her if she was performing a free concert in my back yard. But that's just me. ;) :D
**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Seems to me that if the fans, who ultimately pay for the lifestyle that Streisand enjoys, want to hear People, she damn well should sing People. If and when she ever puts out new music that the fans are equally excited about, then she will have earned the right to switch it up a bit. Or if she wants to do something different, she should bill it as such. I don't get why she's bitching about putting on concerts that she enjoys putting on. It's her job to entertain her audience. If she doesn't want to put on a concert, then she shouldn't.

Plus, she's got that vibrato that sounds like a goat. Not boring, I guess, but listening to a goat isn't boring either in the same way.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

[quote]Originally posted by ZekeSmith: [b]Plus, she's got that vibrato that sounds like a goat. Not boring, I guess, but listening to a goat isn't boring either in the same way.[/b][/quote]Didn't seem to get in the way for Eddie Vedder, Michael Stipe, or Stevie Nicks...

I love her voice when she sings. I just wish she would realize how boring she is when she starts talking.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Babs isn't a bad singer. She's actually pretty talented... annoying personality aside. My dad and I used to have heated discussions about it. I used to say that I felt Linda Ronstadt was the better singer, he said Barbara. I STILL think I was right. :p Speaking of Whipping Post, I love that old Zappa story about the drunk guy (somewhere in Europe?) who kept screaming for that song - so, even though they had never played or rehearsed it, they went ahead and played it to shut the guy up.

[quote]Originally posted by Eric Worthington: [b] we know she didn't write them, so what the hell is she even talking about? Has she been doing the same material for forty years[/b][/quote]Ditto.She does or did have talent,and the records she made fit a certain niche and time.But an Artist? I think she gave that up a long time ago.So yeah,what the hell is she even talking about is right.Her big risk-gig was not playing her obvious hits in some shlocky Las Vegas club and getting one bad review.How painful that must have been to that sensitive artist. :rolleyes:
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Boring and rich, so rich she bores herself? She does, however entertain the stressed-out with her "perfect" albums(cd's, records). I know a guy who borrowed his dad's Lexus and had to come by and get me, the cd player was playing "Babs" latest perfect thing. To make a boring story less boring, the guy's dad is a doctor/surgeon, and works about a 10-12 hour day. Sooooooo, thanks Babs for keeping the surgeons calm. :wave:
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Babs in her own words: http://www.barbrastreisand.com/statements.html boring - boring - boring - oh, ya, boring. Also, this important point, boring. Not to mention, of course, boring. But don't let me guide you to the exciting outcome of her diatribe, it is actually - boring, boring, boring, but I still love you Babs, you were great in Funny Girl. After that, I grew-up and realized my efficiency apartment wasn't as secure and comfy as your ocean-front paradise. Thats not my point at all, you deserve all you have, you're just boring, thats all.
WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]I'm so 180 degrees out from everyone posting here I'd better just slowly back out this door... :confused: [/b][/quote]Oh come on Botch, you're not a wuss, so don't wuss out on us now - tell us what you think! Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. Let me guess - you're president of the Utah chapter of her fanclub? ;)

It's actually very exciting to record and mix a legendary "artist" with amazing musicians at world class studios with any gear I choose. And on top of that, it pays well. Under those conditions it's hard for me to find anything boring.YMMV. Dave Reitzas [url=http://www.reitzas.com]www.reitzas.com[/url]

[quote]Originally posted by Reitzas: [b]It's actually very exciting to record and mix a legendary "artist" with amazing musicians at world class studios with any gear I choose. And on top of that, it pays well. Under those conditions it's hard for me to find anything boring.YMMV. Dave Reitzas [url=http://www.reitzas.com]www.reitzas.com[/url] [/b][/quote]Is it exciting to listen to her stuff as well?

Archived