Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Book: Survey of jazz musicians?

loxley11

Hi again

Anyone know of a book that is sort of an encyclopedia of jazz musicians? There are hundreds of jazz histories out there, but not too many just focused on players. I'm looking for stylistic info, influences, and notable recordings too, not just biographic information, and more towards the post-big-band eras. Doesn't need to be as comprehensive as the Leonard Feather Encyclopedia. Just something to help me keep all those names straight and to direct my listening.

Thanks,

loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two such works. One is "the Jazz Dictionary" by Philippe Carles, André Clergeat and Jean Louis Comolli, in six small volumes; the other one is "The Illustrated Jazz Encyclopedia" by Brian Case and Stan Britt, in one volume. The latter seems a bit more focused on post-swing jazz.

Marino,

That second book sounds like what I'm looking for. Is it more of a photo book, or is it a true resource on the players and their major recordings?

regards,

loxley11

-Mike Tyson

Well, although the images are the main show, the text is rather consistent, not at all sketchy, and full of useful information about albums.

Take into account, however, that I've bought that book about 20 years ago.

Marino,

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting the Illustrated Encyclopedia ("like new" for $3 on Amazon, no less!), along with "Jazz on Record: The first 60 years" The Rough Guide and the Allmusic Guide looked like excellent books, but they were a mite expensive! Maybe down the road...

Regards,

Drew

-Mike Tyson

Archived