Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wall hanging a guitar... in California

Virtual Jim

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come to think of it, I have a few stands that hang the guitar. Where the guitar is supported by the neck and there is a set of arms that support the back from behind (not underneath). I suppose they would be bad as well?

I would have to think that, if Michael is correct about hanging, then any hanging in any way for long periods is uncool. And that is what he seemed to be on about, not leaving them hanging for extended periods, (like as we would do, semi-permanently ....)

I guess, if you think about it, that is a lot of weight hanging from what on most guitars is the weakest point. But I never thought about it before. I'd bet that a hanger that worked with the body would be better. A guitar is not a linear plank with equal amounts of weight on each side of the plane from which the thing would hang. I wonder if that unequal distribution of weight is the concern, pulling on the neck?

That makes sense. I can see how the extra stress could cause damage over a long period of time. However, is that period of time within the lifetime of the instrument?

On my Fender, the only joint that I could see, suffering any extra stress, would be at the heel, where the neck joins the body. I could see, after a long time, the screws beginning to angle up at the back from the weight of the guitar pulling down. But, is there actually enough weight to pull those four screws? How long would it take to do damage? I'd assume it would take a long time. I'd also assume that you would eventually reach a point where it couldn't pull anymore (maximum compression of the wood etc.). Would the damage occur before that? If not, then no damage would be noticable.

Anyway...I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm going to do some research on this...

Hmmm...also, would the strings, pulling the neck to the body, not support the 5-7 pounds of weight? I would think it would?

we're looking at torque too, and none of the pulling is equal. But really, we're all just guessing.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I'm not a structural engineer, either, but I gotta believe that with the strings tuned to pitch, there's at least several hundred pounds of tension or torque or torsion-some combination of the above, with most of it between the bridge and the nut, tending to pull them together. I don't see how an extra eight or ten pounds of force in the opposite direction from that can degrade the instrument in the span of several lifetimes, but I could be missing something. In fact, it might reduce the tendency of the bridge to rise over time, or for the top to 'belly up'. It does sometimes take a while for a neck to stabilize, after the intonation and truss rod have been adjusted; it might then be a bad time to hang the guitar. I do know that it's recommended that a guitar be held in the playing position while tuning-it could go a bit sharp when hung by the neck, in other words.
"The Blues ain't got no dental plan."-"Bleeding Gums" Murphy

I've been hanging my guitars for close to 40 years now and I've never witnessed any degredation in the neck or pocket joints. I have bolt on neck guitars as well as glued in. In my opinion, the screws hold the neck together but when the guitar is hanging by its neck, it the friction between the two surfaces that resist the two pulling apart, not the screws.

"... it the friction between the two surfaces that resist the two pulling apart, not the screws...."

we're all just guessing as to what the problem might be, and until I can get to see the guy again, we won't know.

But nobody is suggesting any pulling apart, we're thinking torque and twist, with all of that weight pulling from gravity on the weakest point in the entire construction of the instrument, plus the uneven pull of the strings. If you took a 2x4 and leaned it up in a corner, it would warp. If you took a 2x4 and nailed it to the wall at one point so that the bottom of the 2x4 was off the ground and no part of the 2x4 touched the wall, it would warp. This is probably a factor of moisture content more than anything, but that is a factor in acoustic guitars, too and to a lesser degree, electrics. And the 2x4 is even in dimensions, side to side and along it's length, and it does not have strings pulling against one length. The guitar is much heavier in the body than at the neck/headstock joint, and does have a couple of hundred pounds of additional pull going on.

So we don't know what we are talking about, but we don't think that it relates directly to neck joinery.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I think the best thing you could do is move out of the Bolshevik State of California! Now with that being said unless you have extremes in humidity then your guitars should be fine. Most necks are made from 1/4 sawn mahogany. Mahogany moves very little and if living on the east coast where we heat during the Winter Seasons my guitars stay out all the time but during the heating season I keep a humidifier in all of them. If you are worrying about earthquakes then I strongly recommend getting out of CA.

Archived