Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Years Eve gigs anyone?

JBFLA

I took the fill in job for NYE with some young lads all under age 20. They have a blues band and showed maturity beyond their age. We didn't practice and they gave me a set list with keys.

The gig couldn't have gone better, no real glitches or train wrecks. The band and audience both had a lot of fun and I'm likely to pick up more work with them.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I took the fill in job for NYE with some young lads all under age 20. They have a blues band and showed maturity beyond their age. We didn't practice and they gave me a set list with keys.

The gig couldn't have gone better, no real glitches or train wrecks. The band and audience both had a lot of fun and I'm likely to pick up more work with them.

:thu:

You make us proud ! Congrats and Happy New Year to you....

www.danielprine.com

Or I may turn in early tonight and grout the shower stall tomorrow after showers.

Am I an animal or what?

The tacky feel of the caulk in my fingers, the odiferous emminations of acetic acid wafting through the bathroom, the bright white were there was once wretched mildew and stain, the fact that I can't use the shower until lunchtime on the 2nd. My new years is complete!

Happy Newt's Ear one and all!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

No gig this year, but I reached out to a contact in the community of my home town for next year (can't start soon enough) and he said on of our home town's politicians really likes us and wants to book us for next year's new year's drink :) Too bad he didn't tell us this year, but heck we have a gig this Saturday :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I know this is OT - but just curious of your decision making process and general ethics when it comes to replacing other bands?

It would depend on a couple of things. If I knew the bar owner was going to hire a different band regardless of my availability, I'd probably take it. If not, and I was doing the band thing mostly for fun and didn't need the bux, I'd probably thank the bar owner but not be available. If it was my livelihood, I would have to take the gig.

If I did take the gig for whatever reason, I would contact the other band afterward, tell them I didn't know the situation going in, and apologize. If they were a good-sounding band, and I got an opportunity to throw a booking their way or talk them up for a gig somewhere down the road, I'd do it with no hesitation. If they sucked, I probably wouldn't.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Or I may turn in early tonight and grout the shower stall tomorrow after showers.

Am I an animal or what?

The tacky feel of the caulk in my fingers, the odiferous emminations of acetic acid wafting through the bathroom, the bright white were there was once wretched mildew and stain, the fact that I can't use the shower until lunchtime on the 2nd...

"...these are a few of my favorite things!..." :thu:

My gig went great. There were only 40 people at the party, which meant that they paid $50 each for the band part of the evening. I don't know what they paid for the dinner and drinks.

The 40 people, most of whom were older than us (that means 60's and up) danced to everything from the downbeat to the end of the evening and asked for a lot of business cards.

We will be playing covers. For those songs I need charts for I will be dancing and hiding my charts somewhere near the drum kit. For the others I will be watching the audience, NYE is a fun time to audience watch. Trust me.

EAT YOUR WORDS MR R!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Our night could have gone smoother. Our drummer who sings most of the songs was recovering from the flu so he couldn't sing very much. The guitar player with some help from me sang a majority of the night. He pulled out some stuff we haven't done in a while and we hadn't played in a couple of weeks so it was a little rough. Now add to it my strap button breaking and a couple of rival bands hanging out early to "say hi" while sitting near the owner it wasn't, as I said, the smoothest of nights. Still no major train wrecks and the audience enjoyed it as also apparently the owner as he actually paid us a little extra. So all in all it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived