Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Years Eve gigs anyone?

JBFLA

Who's playing where? Particulars? It's always interesting to see how the rest of the forum is preparing (or not) for NYE!!

For me (after 2 years off), mine will be at a Country Club in Stuart FLA - the band sets up by 5:00 with a sound check at 5:30. Cocktail Party at 6:00 (just piano and a vocalist), Dinner set at 7:00, followed by 4 (maybe 5) sets of dance music 'til 2:00 or so. We'll be nine pieces - Bass, drums, guitar, keys, 3 ladies up front singing, 2 piece horn section.

Last year we were double booked and BOTH gigs cancelled in early November due to lack of ticket sales... don't know that this a sign that the economy is improving or that our marketing/popularity of the band is picking up (or both?), but I welcome the change.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm actually NOT playing a NYE gig. Kinda crazy. My disco band's previous management/booking dude apparently didn't want us to make any money this holiday season. Our current manager is already booking into the end of 2010 so this will probably be my last free NYE for a while. Maybe I'll just stay in and go to bed early. :)

We are at are usual place - a small upscale restaurant downtown. Been there for a few years now. It's the 9 piece horn band doing tunes like:

Bright Side Of The Road

Vehicle

What Is Hip?

Cut The Cake

Sittin' on The Dock of the Bay

In the Midnight Hour

25 Or 6 To 4

Baby I Love You

Tired Of Being Alone

Let's Stay Together

Chain Of Fools

Peg

You Can Leave Your Hat On

Sir Duke

Mustang Sally

I Wish

Hey Jude

Don't Change Horses (In The Middle Of A Stream)

Superstition

Domino

Use Me

Will It Go Round In Circles

September

Shake A Tail Feather

It's Your Thing

Brick House

The Letter

Hold On! I'm Comin'

Shining Star

Saturday In The Park

Hey Davio -

Strange how that works, eh? You'd think he'd want his cut at the least? We're booked solid up to next March and next NYE also.

I prefer to stay home if I'm not playing. No sense being out on the roads during these "Amateur Hour" drinking Holidays if not necessary.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

"Vehicle" - one of my all time favorites. Have a great gig Steve, and good luck with the sale of the Sad and finding a Roscoe to fit your needs. As you can see by my Avatar, I'm a HUGE fan of Roscoes (I have a LG 3000 and a LG 3005) - my 'go to' basses.

If you've got any questions about Roscoes (that haven't already been answered by the members of the Roscoe forum in TB), PM me here.

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

"Vehicle" - one of my all time favorites. Have a great gig Steve, and good luck with the sale of the Sad and finding a Roscoe to fit your needs. As you can see by my Avatar, I'm a HUGE fan of Roscoes (I have a LG 3000 and a LG 3005) - my 'go to' basses.

If you've got any questions about Roscoes (that haven't already been answered by the members of the Roscoe forum in TB), PM me here.

Thanks. My RV4 is a fantastic bass. I did a little EQ experimenting and found some cool sounds. Not Roscoe sounds, but cool. We'll see what happens. It's have to be used, and there are a couple around, but I need to sell the Sadowsky first. It's a great bass so I hope it sells.

Both original bands are gigging this year.

Wretched Men at a club on New Years Eve.

Quantum Soup at a private party on New Years day.

I prepare by rehearsing with them.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Yeah well, that's the thing about Roscoes - between the top/body wood choices and the neck/fingerboard woods and the different electronic options (Roscoe/Classic Barts, Nordy's, Demeter's and Aggy pre's and so on) that are out there - Keith can build/or has built what ever you want. The 'Used' choices are a little more limiting. (Nobody wants to sell these, for the most part. I waited years to find my 2. http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll253/JBFLA/Roscoes/014jpg.jpg

Currently, I'm looking for an LG 3000 fretless, but I don't think I'll find it used - I'm seriously considering making a trip to NC to spec out what I want from Keith. I've known Gard for years (since he was at 'BassCentral' and he can't recall a Roscoe that fits my specs).

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Hey Moot -

Good luck on the gigs and Best Wishes for the New Year!!

Do you have to haul/set up PA gear for either/both? Yow! New Years Day gig could be draining by the time the day is through!!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Hi Jeremy -

I hear you. What works... works. Play to the crowd, change it up a little if need be and keep them dancin'

Sometimes, it's amazing how fulfilling one song request can result in swaying an entire audience. Our keyboardist can read a crowd's needs better than anyone I know. We don't have a 'Set list' per se - he calls the tunes and we just have to pay attention.

Reading lips is almost as important as reading charts...

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

I can't believe it, but on the best paying night of the year, our singer makes a yearly trip to Memphis. No gig for us. If it weren't such a good band situation, I'd strongly consider looking for another band. As it is, I'll grin and bear it.

Anybody in the KC area need a guitar/bass/singer for New Years Eve? I'm available...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey picker -

Was this something he does every year, or something he gave a good bit of notice about? If so, I would've either:

A - approached the rest of the band about booking NYE, or

B - said to the rest of the band "just to let you know, I'm going to find a gig for myself for NYE."

Seems the singer had no problem fulfilling his own needs. I don't see why you (or the rest of the band, for that matter) should have to settle for less for yourselves? It's not like you're looking for a replacement as much as being self-reliant. He should be able to understand (and respect) that, at the least??

KnowwhatImean??

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Do you have to haul/set up PA gear for either/both? Yow! New Years Day gig could be draining by the time the day is through!!

Club gig is the full show - 2 P.A.s, one of which is mine, lights, etc.

Private party is just my bass gear but yeah, by Saturday I'll be wiped out.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

No NYE gig this year, but I picked up a couple of gigs for the weekend. One Sat. evening and the other Sunday afternoon. Haven't played a lot of paying gigs for awhile but that might be changing soon.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Hey picker -

Was this something he does every year, or something he gave a good bit of notice about? If so, I would've either:

A - approached the rest of the band about booking NYE, or

B - said to the rest of the band "just to let you know, I'm going to find a gig for myself for NYE."

Seems the singer had no problem fulfilling his own needs. I don't see why you (or the rest of the band, for that matter) should have to settle for less for yourselves? It's not like you're looking for a replacement as much as being self-reliant. He should be able to understand (and respect) that, at the least??

KnowwhatImean??

The singer did put in enough advance notice. But I was looking for a decent gig when I found this one, they ain't growing on trees out here. The other guys are both doing quite well for themselves, and don't mind not working on NYE. They don't like to rehearse for our regular gigs, so working in a new singer for one gig isn't likely to trip their trigger. They aren't really in it for the money, they do it because they like to play. To them the money is just a bonus, and a small one compared to their regular income. I'm the only one who really needs the bux.

So, I'll be watching whatever NYE TV special I run across, if I don't go to bed early.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm in an odd situation. I had booked the band I had been playing in for 12 years a gig for new years eve and had to turn down the other band I was playing with. Then it all got a bit childish and I left the first band offering to cover the remaining gigs. They declined and have a dep playing NYE, but can't find a permanent replacement 4 months later?

So I went back to the second band and told them I was free. 2 days later they called me and said we have a gig. I always think its nice when people say what they want to do and then actually go and do it.

It's in a small pub, ticket only event, which includes a meal and dancing to a band for those 100 or so lucky lucky people.

We will be playing covers. For those songs I need charts for I will be dancing and hiding my charts somewhere near the drum kit. For the others I will be watching the audience, NYE is a fun time to audience watch. Trust me.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Personally I think 'In The Midnight Hour' is obviously cheesy for NYE. We play it, I just smile and look happy.

Do you guys play 'Auld Lang Signe' on the strok of midnight in your various countries?

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

We've got gigs New Year's Eve and on the 2nd if we can get our equipment to them. Our van has broken down and our guitar player who owns it can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it. Looks like we may have to rent a van for a couple of days unless he can figure out what's wrong and fix it. I don't want to cancel. We've had to cancel 3 gigs the past few months due to sickness or the van breaking down on the way to the gig. Not good for business.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I will be in Oceanside LI doing a show for about 300..

3 sets..2nd set as requested by the guy who planned the party is all Elvis...which should be fun... the front guy does a great Elvis ...

also have a big show on 1/2/10...so it should be a great weekend of playing.

Enjoy your gigs and Have a Happy New Year...

www.danielprine.com

Personally I think 'In The Midnight Hour' is obviously cheesy for NYE. We play it, I just smile and look happy.

Do you guys play 'Auld Lang Signe' on the strok of midnight in your various countries?

It just happens to be on our normal set list. It is cheesy. We don't have a full band arrangement of ALS - unless the leader is doing one right now - so we usually just fake it with the rhythm section.

It just happens to be on our normal set list. It is cheesy. We don't have a full band arrangement of ALS - unless the leader is doing one right now - so we usually just fake it with the rhythm section.

I differ with my learned colleagues on this one. I think "Midnight Hour" is one of the most kick-a$$ R&B tunes of all time, and apprpriate in any situation, including NYE. My tuppence.

I differ with my learned colleagues on this one. I think "Midnight Hour" is one of the most kick-a$$ R&B tunes of all time, and apprpriate in any situation, including NYE. My tuppence.

Didn't mean to say it was a bad tune, just that it's not there just for NYE.

Our New Year's Eve Gig

Great place to play, good money, too.

Nothing special in terms of NYE specific songs. Probably kick off the first song of 2010 with "Let's Go Crazy" or something like that. With the 9:30-1:30 time, normally midnight would be break time, but we'll obviously have to modify that - probably work it out so we break a little early to get the champagne passed out and do the countdown, then kick the music back in at midnight.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived