Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Years Eve gigs anyone?

JBFLA

We'll be bringing in 2010 at our usual place, a BBQ restaurant(KC's Ribshack) in Manchester,NH. Same place as the New England BBQ bassfest took place earlier. We do Me First and the Gimme Gimme fun stuff. 2- 1 hour sets and probably what we call a Drunken Stuper set of about 30 min worth.Can't wait.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll be bringing in 2010 at our usual place, a BBQ restaurant(KC's Ribshack) in Manchester,NH. Same place as the New England BBQ bassfest took place earlier. We do Me First and the Gimme Gimme fun stuff. 2- 1 hour sets and probably what we call a Drunken Stuper set of about 30 min worth.Can't wait.

This is my jealous face. I've been craving another Cardiac Sam sandwich for a while now.

No gig for us - not our thing. I expect to go to bed early.

Dan - subbing with The Usual Suspects? what happened to their regular bassist?

TNB - Jupiter is a long way to travel for that gig....

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

TNB - Jupiter is a long way to travel for that gig....Tom

It's the chance to play my Roscoe fiver again... or maybe lunch at the Food Shack - either is worth the trip, tho' I suspect lunch at the Food Shack holds the upper hand.

tnb? Are you going to be staying to do Le Cage at the Maltz or the Ella show at the Riverside following the NYE gig? Looking forward to seeing you again!!

Dano (57pbass) - you're overdue for a trip down here. If you have plans for a SFLA trip, maybe we can plan a SFLA LowDowners GTG?? Drop me a line!!

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

No gig for us - not our thing. I expect to go to bed early.

Dan - subbing with The Usual Suspects? what happened to their regular bassist?

TNB - Jupiter is a long way to travel for that gig....

Tom

Tom...Their bass player fell off of a ladder over the Thanksgiving weekend and got hurt pretty bad..he has been in and out of therapy but should be OK in time.....

I had nuthin to do with it..... I swear....

www.danielprine.com

TNB - Jupiter is a long way to travel for that gig....Tom

It's the chance to play my Roscoe fiver again... or maybe lunch at the Food Shack - either is worth the trip, tho' I suspect lunch at the Food Shack holds the upper hand.

tnb? Are you going to be staying to do Le Cage at the Maltz or the Ella show at the Riverside following the NYE gig? Looking forward to seeing you again!!

Dano (57pbass) - you're overdue for a trip down here. If you have plans for a SFLA trip, maybe we can plan a SFLA LowDowners GTG?? Drop me a line!!

Jim

Hi Jim I have not been down in a long time..maybe down in Feb / March 2010 I will give you a call when I have a date set... DP

www.danielprine.com

Bonus: We picked up Wednesday night at another club. We usually only do weekends, but considering the holiday, Wed-Thurs isn't a bad deal. And we're off (a rare occasion) this weekend. So we'll get about 2 full weekends worth of pay and still have the weekend off - nice!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm playing on the 2nd and 3rd but heard about a blues band who needs a bassist for NYE. They're young guys (19 or so and players, I hear) and I may get a call if they want someone as old as their grandpa playing. It probably won't pay much as it's in a tiny little place.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I'm actually NOT playing a NYE gig. Kinda crazy. My disco band's previous management/booking dude apparently didn't want us to make any money this holiday season. Our current manager is already booking into the end of 2010 so this will probably be my last free NYE for a while. Maybe I'll just stay in and go to bed early. :)

Hard to believe Booty Vortex wouldn't have a gig on NYE. The band was made for it.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Hard to believe Booty Vortex wouldn't have a gig on NYE. The band was made for it.

Tell me about it... My boss is also a bass player and he's playing in town on NYE so I have Friday off and everything but no gig! Maybe I'll go see his band play. Brownie points and all that.

Actually you guys should have been booked solid for the past few weeks between corporate holiday parties and other venues. By all rights, you should be exhausted and ready to take a couple of weeks off and get reacquainted with your families. Oh well...

Talk gear and gas with your boss, there's some brownie points. Don't tell him about this place though, you don't want him to know you that well.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I don't have a gig for NYE this year. I have a jazz gig on the 2nd and I'm a little worried that it might be a quiet night audience-wise. We play a place that has a lot of tourists visit though so I'm hoping people are still holidaying in London and will come out!

Hi Phil - Is that the place we saw you at?

www.danielprine.com

Actually you guys should have been booked solid for the past few weeks between corporate holiday parties and other venues. By all rights, you should be exhausted and ready to take a couple of weeks off and get reacquainted with your families. Oh well...

That's exactly what I'm sayin'! From what I've heard, they're usually run ragged by this point in the season but for whatever reason the previous booking manager didn't do a good job this year. Next year will be awesome, though.

Talk gear and gas with your boss, there's some brownie points. Don't tell him about this place though, you don't want him to know you that well.

That's what most of my work day consists of. One of us hooks up an ipod to the stereo while we work and we talk about music, gear, movies and Family Guy. He almost fired me when he asked what kind of bass I play.

It's finalized. I am playing a pick up job for NYE at the same place I play on Saturday night, in two different bands. I went from having one gig to having three this week. When it rains it pours. :grin:

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I'll be playing in Boone, NC with the band I'm in, Big Daddy Love, ringing in the new year with a co-bill with Lost Ridge Band. I suppose I'll be preparing by getting there safely, as winter weather is hitting the area again.

Should be a good time once there!

Slightly OT, but we just finished our last minute Wed night gig. I have to say I'm a little unhappy to hear that another band got cancelled for us. I just figured they didn't have a Wed night band and decided at the last minute to get one. We jsut booked it day before yesterday. Apparently they had a band and decided they wanted us. I may not have taken it knowing that. We had a way bigger crowd than the other band would have had, but I just don't like displacing other bands - no matter who they are!

I know this is OT - but just curious of your decision making process and general ethics when it comes to replacing other bands?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Slightly OT, but we just finished our last minute Wed night gig. I have to say I'm a little unhappy to hear that another band got cancelled for us. I just figured they didn't have a Wed night band and decided at the last minute to get one. We jsut booked it day before yesterday. Apparently they had a band and decided they wanted us. I may not have taken it knowing that. We had a way bigger crowd than the other band would have had, but I just don't like displacing other bands - no matter who they are!

I know this is OT - but just curious of your decision making process and general ethics when it comes to replacing other bands?

ethics and bar owners - it was not right what the bar owner did but as many bar owners have told me..they could care less who is on stage as long as the registers are ringing...

If I knew in advance of a situation like this I would not do the gig..but business can be unkind and brutal at times...

www.danielprine.com

Like Daniel just said - you had no way of knowing, but: I'd at least put a little note in that client file to be sure that any engagements booked in the future had an old-fashioned Italian (or eastern NC Redneck) contract (you know - da one where Tiny makes the bar owner an offer he can't refuse).

Wouldn't hurt to be sure that the other band is aware that you did not know that they were cancelled ahead of time, either.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Interesting trivia fact: The term "club owner" comes from an ancient Latin phrase which means "pond scum..."

Were I you I might reach out to the other band and explain what happened. You don't want to get a rep for cutting other bands' throats.

I don't have a gig for NYE this year. I have a jazz gig on the 2nd and I'm a little worried that it might be a quiet night audience-wise. We play a place that has a lot of tourists visit though so I'm hoping people are still holidaying in London and will come out!

Hi Phil - Is that the place we saw you at?

The usual spot!

Neither of my projects seem to have "gelled" yet. So, I may go out to a local hotel where a couple of bands are playing that I have some friends and aquaintences in.

Or I may turn in early tonight and grout the shower stall tomorrow after showers.

Am I an animal or what?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Neither of my projects seem to have "gelled" yet. So, I may go out to a local hotel where a couple of bands are playing that I have some friends and aquaintences in.

Or I may turn in early tonight and grout the shower stall tomorrow after showers.

Am I an animal or what?

From my perspective, Frank:

Option A: Go out tonight, eat too much, drink too much, stay out way too late; spend the better portion of the first day of the New Year trying to recover and feel human again;

Option B: Go to bed early tonight, spend the day repairing/improving your home on the first day of the New Year.

I've done both; I say go with Option B every time. Happy New Year!

I'm going dumpster diving tomorrow. Apparently a local music store filled a dumpster with musical gear in various states of disrepute. Might find a usable cabinet or speaker, who knows?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I'm going dumpster diving tomorrow. Apparently a local music store filled a dumpster with musical gear in various states of disrepute. Might find a usable cabinet or speaker, who knows?

My old singer used to do that about every month or two. That guy has some of the coolest gear ever.

Archived