Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

(Cross post) Blues in all major and minor keys

Phil W

Apologies for cross-posting, (this post is also up on the bass and guitar forums), I wanted to access the widest possible knowledge base:

My good friend Mike, who is a fabulous guitarist, had a great idea for a blogpost on his website. I wish I'd thought of it. As a practice tool, or just for the fun of it, Mike collected examples of tunes (mostly jazz tunes) using blues form in all 12 major and all 12 minor keys. He got stuck on Bb minor but I thought of Mingus' Boogie Stop Shuffle.

However, two keys remain undiscovered: E minor and F#/Gb minor.

You'd think there'd be loads of blues in E minor but they are surprisingly hard to find.

So, a request, have a read through Mike's list and if you can think of a recorded example of a minor blues in E minor or F# minor please let me (or Mike) know.

http://www.mikeoutram.com/wordpress/2009/12/blues-in-all-major-and-minor-keys.html

The other plus of Mike's post is that in the UK, the Spotify links allow us to hear the recordings for free as a playlist and play along.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes when you hear a song in a strange key like F# the song may have been recorded in F or G but for production reasons the recording has either been sped up or slowed down which of course changes the key...mostly the songs were sped up because they tended to sound brighter, especialy on the radio.

Sometimes when you hear a song in a strange key like F# the song may have been recorded in F or G but for production reasons the recording has either been sped up or slowed down which of course changes the key...mostly the songs were sped up because they tended to sound brighter, especialy on the radio.
SRVaughn tuned his guitar down a half step. So when he played in G or D, the rest of the band played in F# or C# (I guess that literally would be G flat and D flat.).
David

Archived