Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

1999 Sound Patch

JakeMKE

Need your input on what I could use to get as close to the lead synth in Prince's 1999. I've tried many different brass and lead synths and although they sound good I think there's gotta be a way to get closer to the sound. Any ideas besides the ones I listed?

Jake

www.2ndwaveband.com

80's New Wave Cover Band

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC saw wave, slightly detuned, with another one (octave above) on top. Sure there's lots more to it (envelope, etc), but that'd be a start. Get the right chords as well, with the 6th and all.

In ROMplerworld, use some kind of saw brass/synth brass, and add something one octave higher using a layer. Within that approach, I once even used strings for that, with acceptable results.

The Motif VintageKeys pack offered a good one, and maybe some hints can be found on Motifator. And Google's your friend.

Good luck.

I used to play that one a Jupiter 6 running through a Boss VF-1 FX unit. Yep - sawtooth, octave, detuned, I added chorus, reverb, delay to fatten it up and match the original. You could probably layer synth brass and synth strings and get close as well in ROMpler world.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived