Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone else reading the recent Robin Kelley bio of T. Monk ?

d  halfnote

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not yet! I want to badly but my wife is likely giving it to me for Xmas so I don't dare. ;) Are you talking about the St Laurent bio?
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

That's the other one I've read; I couldn't recall the author's name.

BTW, check your local library; that's whence my copy came !

Dr. Robin's a musician himself plus he seems to've had great access to the Monk family, etc.

d=halfnote

Don't worry. There's no way I'm missing this one! You did notice my nickname right? lol ;) I read the first chapter of the Robin Kelly Monk bio online on the NY Times website and it looks really good.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

You'll enjoy.

As said, he's had extensive access to family & friends & the book includes some worthy appendices (brief commentary on his musical style, partial listing of personal record collection, etc.).

Scattered throughout are extensive footnotes leading to other info sources.

d=halfnote

It's on my xmas list so I should be reading it in a week or so!!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

fyi, Terry Gross interviewed the author a few days ago on Fresh Air. Here is the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121197087

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

FWIW, above Monk'sDream reminded me of an earlier bio of TM, refered to as "the St. Laurent bio".

In actual fact the author's name is Laurent de Wilde.

While hardly as extensively researched as the new Kelley book, it does have value (I am re-reading it).

Kelley's book, which I'm still in the middle of reading, is deeply researched; one can find the dates of most events in TM's career, how they came about, etc., even what seems to be every player passing through his bands, no matter how briefly.

De Wilde's book is more about the musical culture of Monk & jazz & has an almost poetic quality when he discusses some subjects.

Both are worth checking out.

d=halfnote

I just found my copy and you are right about the author's name and the book, d. Laurent de Wilde's bio is a very good read.

Archived