Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Giant Steps

Dave Horne

Well one thing is for sure..you will never hear a disco version of this tune....8)

That sounds a little like a challenge. :D It would be in such exquisitely bad taste that it's almost appealing.

Like this right?

--Dave

Now imagining that same tempo with the Village People singing Giant Steps. "Macho Macho Steps." Thanks a lot. :freak::)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only upside to vocalists writing (usually horrble) lyrics to jazz heads is that it keeps them from scatting for at least a chorus or 2. One must be thankful for the little things.
Brilliant :thu:

LOL! :thu:

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I absolutely adore the Roland Kirk version, but - aren't the lyrics the same? I'm not sure, and I don't have the album anymore. BW the intro with the celesta is priceless!

Nope, they're different. I have it on vinyl and as I remember it starts: "Life when we were kids/ Was like playing Giant Steps". I'll happily transcribe Rahsaan's lyrics if any are interested. Any excuse to pull out the vinyl and listen to it again. :D

Well, on my Real Vocal Book, it starts *exactly* like that!

Then there's the "think of life as chess.." thing, etc.

I stand corrected! I don't have a vocal Real Book to compare it to. I'll pull out and give it a listen and report back.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Now imagining that same tempo with the Village People singing Giant Steps. "Macho Macho Steps." Thanks a lot. :freak::)

Damn you. Damn you to hell! It won't leave my head now!

My wife just did the very same thing to me.

She wrote me the following email:

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 12:39 PM

To: Is There Gas in the Car?

Subject: RE: RE:

dreidle, dreidle, dreidle I made you out of clay.

XOXOXO

Your great-looking wife.

=================

AAAaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh!!!! :mad:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Going thru my head the last couple of days has been

"Flip, flip, Flipadelphia!" :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived