Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT ... college enforcement of fitness class

Dave Horne

link to full article

It [Lincoln University in PA] has told its students that they must all take a test to check their weight status. Those whose results classify them as being obese will only be allowed to graduate if they take a fitness class designed to teach them healthy living.

The policy was introduced, with the approval of the college's entire 105-strong faculty, in 2005. But it is now coming to a head as the first students who entered the university under the scheme approach graduation.

Under the policy, all students must be tested for their Body Mass Index, or BMI, a recognised indication of a person's health status based on their height and weight. If a student has a BMI of more than 30 one widely used definition of obesity and a waist measurement of more than 35 inches for women and 40 inches for men, they are obliged to take a one-term Fitness for Life class.

The course includes walking, cycling, aerobics and lessons in healthy diet. Students who fail to take it will not graduate, no matter how good their academic performance has been.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure there will be polar opinions on this. I am a recent health convert. I lost 55 pounds and have (so far) kept it off for over a year, and have never felt better.

I think I am tentitavly in favour of this apporoach, assuming that the condition is only to take the course. Passing by a certain %, or losing a certain amount of weight... Is another story.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

At least it's not gym class. I was so happy when I found out I wouldn't have gym in college.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

At least it's not gym class. I was so happy when I found out I wouldn't have gym in college.

I went to college in Pennsylvania and at that time I was forced to learn how to swim. I had and still have a fear of water. They had me diving into eight feet of water but I never felt comfortable. I believe learning to swim at that time was a requirement of the state.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I went to college in Pennsylvania and at that time I was forced to learn how to swim. I had and still have a fear of water. They had me diving into eight feet of water but I never felt comfortable. I believe learning to swim at that time was a requirement of the state.
Wow, I would have hated that too. I understand the mechanics of swimming, but I can't tread water and have very little buoyancy. I have a problem with water that's deeper than I am. This is in despite of (or perhaps due to) being forced to take swimming lessons for years as a little kid every summer down at the beach. I even jumped off the swimming float one year, but in later years couldn't get over the deep water.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I went to college in Pennsylvania and at that time I was forced to learn how to swim.

Mine was similiar. I was forced to drink heavily and do lots of drugs. :laugh:

Archived