Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drink-proof keyboard covers?

FunkKeysStuff

I'm looking for a couple covers that will protect my boards from onstage spillage between sets. I've seen recs for LeCover, and have already sent them an inquiry. Question is, are they pretty much the people to go to, or are there other viable options that I've missed (besides a couple contractor bags and a roll of duct tape)?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dig LeCover....Larry makes them to your specification with flaps right where the cables plug in so no stress there. They are non-porous, not like stretchy nylon. Mixer covers go over the cables plugged in the top as well to form a good fit.

I don't know if they make a studio cover that actually tightens at the bottom. :thu:

Buy an industrial sized version of this ...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vLUDXOY_oo36WM:http://www.montpelier.k12.nd.us/saran.jpg

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I am getting a good laugh from the Louie Louie recommendation. :D

On the topic of covers to protect your keyboard, I can recommend LeCover as well. I don't know if he has changed his formula, but I have one cover I bought for my JX8P in about 1986 and it still looks new. I have a second one that was made for a Roland V-Combo in about 2003. It looks just like the older cover. While I no longer have the V-Combo and the JX8P is currently living inside its Anvil case, I use both of these covers on a daily basis in my music room to cover whatever keyboards are in use there. They aren't snug fits, but do provide nice protection for whatever surface area I can cover with them. The larger one will actually just about cover my S90 + Electro or S70XS + Electro rig when I have both stacked on the *unmentionable best keyboard stand*

These covers are very durable and will not allow spills to soak through. I've hardly ever taken them to the gig, but that's not a bad idea to cover your boards in between sets.

Regards,

Eric

Seriously, go to a market, buy the material you think looks good and will do the job, and have someone make it for you. My wife and I go to a woman who is retired who does repairs and alterations. If I need something made, I go to her have and it made custom.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I should have mentioned that the LeCover covers are actually custom made to the specs of the keyboard, including the cutaway for cables to peek through on the back. My two covers are described as not being a snug fit as I'm using them with different keyboards.

I have both stacked on the *unmentionable best keyboard stand*

BTW I've tried to investigate your stand thru your pics on your website, with no luck. I love how tight you stack your boards as I do the same.

I just came to the conclusion its a custom fab job. Isnt it?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I sat in with the house band at the Can-Tab in Boston (Cambridge, actually) and they have a keyboard player who has been there for probably 40 years. He had a keyboard that he kept in a clear plastic garbage bag while he played due to the many spilled drinks (and drunks) over the years. I had to play through the plastic.

For some reason it was just the coolest thing.

However, I'll say that it's law in most states that bands (who are employees) are not allowed alcoholic drinks on the stage. I usually keep some soda water close by. On the floor, outside the legs of my keyboard stand where I won't kick it.

Secondly, dancing patrons are not allowed to have a drink of any kind in their hand, although this gets violated quite regularly.

The point is, if you minimize the opportunity for having a frothy draught deluge your nice new red keyboard, or even your smelly old Rhodes, the potential for that occurrence will be thus diminished.

Or, you could put a clear plastic bag over it.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

BTW I've tried to investigate your stand thru your pics on your website, with no luck. I love how tight you stack your boards as I do the same.

I just came to the conclusion its a custom fab job. Isnt it?

Google Search is all I'm gonna say about that. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had a college bar gig where the girls kept hoping up on stage and using my keyboard as leverage, pressing the buttons while they did.

Would have been okay if they were coming up to see me, but they blew by me to get with the singer.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Archived