Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Online Guitar Lessons

SteveC

What do you guys know about sites for online lessons for tunes? I may be playing in a duo with my lead singer (I'm a bass player with a little guitar background) and need to learn. Yes, I know, get a book, etc.

I found a site called jamplay. $20, access to lessons, songs etc.

Here's an example of a lesson:

http://www.jamplay.com/guitar-lessons/full/she-talks-to-angels-434.html

Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out some DVD lesson and books on MF or at GC...you can zero in on the style you like to play and repeat lessons indefinately....or find a teacher...can't help with on-line sites but I'm sure they are out there and hopefully someone will chime in with a good suggestion for you....
Take care, Larryz

I think online lessons and online tunes tend to be two separate things. If you`re just looking for songs there are lots of pay sites and lots of free sites with sometimes questionable tab versions.

Lots of good sites for lessons only are out there too, if I remember it right www.berkleeguitarsites is one.

www.bossanovaguitar for that style.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Here's a very cool, *FREE* lessons 'site and a great reference:

Chris Juergensen Lessons 'page.

Be sure to scroll down when you get there to view the entire list of lessons; scope out "The ii - V - I Chord Progression" lesson for a good example of how insightful and immediately useful his lessons are.

Chris is a nice guy with a great, friendly attitude, not to mention an excellent player; even though he's published this same info in a book for sale, he continues to offer the free version there. To make up for all the miles I'd gotten out of his 'site, I bought one of his CDs and sent him an e-mail, and he sent me an appreciative reply right away. And, he's big in Japan. :thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Thanks for the link on that ii-V-I lesson, i will have to check that out.

:cool: Not only does that one nicely cover ii - V - I progressions on the guitar, it also demonstrates some great ways to voice lead, pare down chords to very effective minimal voicings- even down to two notes, and voice 'em big 'n' busy as you please.

lightbulb.gif I took his two-note fingerings, inverted 'em- switching the lower note to being the highest one by jumping it up an octave, relocated a couple of strings up- and threw the root underneath to create some of my favorite movable three-note m7 and Maj7 grips. :cool::thu:

And buy a CD or book or download or somethin' from the guy sometime, and send him a thank-you e-mail! :thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

You might find Powertab Editor useful, it's a free program you can download. Once you have it you can find songs tabbed with it online, when you open them it shows the notes and the tab, plus, you can play the song at any tempo(in MIDI). You do run into some poorly tabbed songs but I've seen lots of good ones. When I was teaching this was a great tool for the more advanced students that wanted to get right into a favorite artists style.

Jim

Thanks for the link on that ii-V-I lesson, i will have to check that out.

:cool: Not only does that one nicely cover ii - V - I progressions on the guitar, it also demonstrates some great ways to voice lead, pare down chords to very effective minimal voicings- even down to two notes, and voice 'em big 'n' busy as you please.

lightbulb.gif I took his two-note fingerings, inverted 'em- switching the lower note to being the highest one by jumping it up an octave, relocated a couple of strings up- and threw the root underneath to create some of my favorite movable three-note m7 and Maj7 grips. :cool::thu:

And buy a CD or book or download or somethin' from the guy sometime, and send him a thank-you e-mail! :thu:

Yeah, thanks for that link. I like to go back over stuff and from glancing through it that seems pretty awesome.

I use PowerTab a lot, even though some of the tabs are crap - I do find some great ones out there!

Also "TuxGuitar" is a free program that will read GuitarPro files.

Another great site with lessons and song-specific tutorials is "Vanderbilly.com"

Enjoy!

Archived