Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help choosing first keyboard!

kitkat

Help choosing first keyboard!

Not sure if I've come to the right place but hopefully someone can help as music store staff are not very reliable. I play a little guitar and played drums in a hobby band for a couple of years.. we played a couple of small bar shows nothing serious, just for fun. I've moved into an apartment and drums are out of the question (even electronic drums) so I figure what better time to learn a new instrument. So I know nothing about piano but would like to take lessons and learn, I don't aspire to be a great pianist I would just like to be able to play and read sheet music. I will never use this keyboard to play with other musicians or play live, this is strictly bedroom learn/playing/recording with headphones on. I bought Reason and a bunch of refills a couple of years ago when I had a small 25 key controller but at the time never used any of it as I was too focused on drums (I no longer have the controller). I would like something with 88 keys, good touch, and that has at least one decent piano patch so I don't have to boot up everytime I want to practice, but that is also a good midi controller so I can take advantage of all the samples I have and can do some recording. And I'd like to spend as little possible given that I already spent a lot on the software and refills already :) Advice? Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As little as possible to get what I want :) 88 keys with touch/action good enough for someone who will never likely improve past beginner/intermediate with at least one good piano patch built in and thats also a decent midi controller for mostly fiddling around and home recording. i don't need something with a million patches built in because i have a ton of software already. if what i want can only be had for $750 so be it but if it can be had for $250 thats obviously better :)

what is the risk? i buy pretty much everything used so i doubt i would buy a new keyboard but is there something specific i should look out for? i just like having 2 or 3 things to try out/compare before i buy something.. other than the casio what would you guys reccomend? my needs are 50% piano 50% midi controller so i don't want a full on midi controller with no built in patches but i also don't necessarily need an electric piano. thanks!

Archived