Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bose L1 Compact VS. K8

bhodaway10

Klipsch Industrial LaScalas come immediately to mind. Clean, powerful, balanced, tight bass response, and yeah, they could run at ear-blistering volumes on a tiny amp too.

I worked FOH for a sound company that was a total Klipsch house... several sets of MCMs,LaScalas, dozens of Heresys and Heresy slants, CP-01s, CP-301s and the full-stage monitors...we also carried TurboSound, ans between the LaScalas and the Turbosound TSE 118 and 112 combo, I prefered the TurboSound for a number of reasons. But Paul Klispch designed some wonderful speakers and I cannot help comparing the Heresy to the new, cheap, PA-on-a-stick crap that I hear now, and I can only shake my head in wonder. I mean, Heresy's powered by Crest 3501s or 5001s was our stock small PA, and when the Community L&S small two way cab supplanted the Heresy in our rig, I was sad because the Communitys sounded like crap beside the Heresy. But the plastic speakers that have replaced the Communitys are so much worse....it is just amazing. It is purely a matter of dollars though...a pair of Heresy cabs with angle and corners ran close to a grand dealer cost. The CL&Ss were around $200 a cabinet dealer cost. Crap amps soon followed, and I left soon afterwards...about the time that the Mackie consoles took over.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by Bill@welcome home studios:

'more popular' would be a better statement. There were plenty of better cabinets. Altec had amazing market penetration.

Voice of the Theater cabinets were mfg and sold by Altec Lansing. Voice of the Theatre cabinets were everywhere, you could usually pick up used cabinets on the cheap too. We replaced the 15" speakers in our cabinets with JBL speakers because they could handle more power and had a bit better bass response. I also replaced the 15" bass speakers in my Leslie cabinets with EV bass speakers. They were much better than the stock Leslie 15" speakers. No wonder I can't hear anymore. :freak:

There are a lot of good choices today. The equipment we were using 30 and 40 years ago was like the dark ages compared to what is available today.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Mike, I also replaced the original Leslie woofer with an EV SRO(?) that had a lifetime guarantee. I would replace that speaker about once a year and use the original Leslie 15 incher as a temp until I got another EV in the mail.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Hey Dave, I think that was the same speaker I bought way back then! I never blew it so I never had to send it back. I avoided blowing the bass speaker by adding a second Leslie cabinet and micing them up. Micing a leslie wasn't the greatest sound in the world. :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Hey Dave, I think that was the same speaker I bought way back then! I never blew it so I never had to send it back. I avoided blowing the bass speaker by adding a second Leslie cabinet and micing them up. Micing a leslie wasn't the greatest sound in the world. :sick:

Mike T.

I probably blew that 15 yearly because of additional bass. There was an old trick where you take the wire from a lower manual 16' drawbar (the first brown one) and connect that wire to a block where there were four possible connections. (Or something like that, it was a long time ago.)

At any rate, instead of two drawbars for the pedals you now had three. You had to experiment with where you made that connection to get the least amount of hum ... or something like that. I'm sure the guys who are using an original B-3 can provide more clarity.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Klipsch Industrial LaScalas come immediately to mind. Clean, powerful, balanced, tight bass response, and yeah, they could run at ear-blistering volumes on a tiny amp too.

I worked FOH for a sound company that was a total Klipsch house... several sets of MCMs,LaScalas, dozens of Heresys and Heresy slants, CP-01s, CP-301s and the full-stage monitors...we also carried TurboSound, ans between the LaScalas and the Turbosound TSE 118 and 112 combo, I prefered the TurboSound for a number of reasons. But Paul Klispch designed some wonderful speakers and I cannot help comparing the Heresy to the new, cheap, PA-on-a-stick crap that I hear now, and I can only shake my head in wonder. I mean, Heresy's powered by Crest 3501s or 5001s was our stock small PA, and when the Community L&S small two way cab supplanted the Heresy in our rig, I was sad because the Communitys sounded like crap beside the Heresy. But the plastic speakers that have replaced the Communitys are so much worse....it is just amazing. It is purely a matter of dollars though...a pair of Heresy cabs with angle and corners ran close to a grand dealer cost. The CL&Ss were around $200 a cabinet dealer cost. Crap amps soon followed, and I left soon afterwards...about the time that the Mackie consoles took over.

My first rig was a pair of Heresies, powered by Yamaha, for CP70 and Rhodes.

The biggest problem with the Heresies was the long narrow throw of the midrange horns -- but that was also an advantage in the right circumstances. Folks often looked at me like I was nuts, though, trying to use what looked like home stereo speakers for PA. Until I cranked 'em up, that is. They worked best at the narrow end of a rectangular room, due to that long throw. I ended up replacing them with Bose 802's, which were the exact opposite (wide throw, great for monitors or small venues). I confess the Bose never did quite have the punch and crispness of the Heresies, though they did improve a lot recently when I replaced the old Yamaha power with a recent Crown amp, with twice the power.

In particular, I remember one time a friend had a direct-disk recording of a vibraphone player's band, and a very high-end turntable & phono preamp. We played that through the Heresies, and I've still never heard vibes sound as life-like through any speakers. And never will, no doubt, since my ears are now 30 years older and somewhat road-battered.

Hey Dave Horne, sorry I haven't gotten back into this thread until now. I never messed with the wiring of my Leslie, I'm technically challenged. The EV speaker was a noticeable improvement over the stock 15" speaker. I was also sick enough to use two Leslies. Now, I can't hear and I have a bad back, imagine that! :rolleyes:

Mike To

Back to Bose L1 Compact for a minute, how do you think they'd work for a duo using a Korg Pa1XPro plus two vocalists playing pop/rock to rooms of up to 150 people?

Are you acoustic? Using drums?

Vocals AND keyboard going into the L1?

I believe that there is only one XLR for one channel, one 1/4" and two RCA jacks on the other. That wouldn't be enough for you and you would need a mixer.

Sound wise with all three going into it might be pushing the limits for one stick.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Thanks for getting back on this, bhodaway10.

The Korg Pa1XPro is an arranger keyboard so, yes, there's a full band backing (including drums) going on most of the time. We do use a Behringer mixer. I was thinking along the same lines as you re. pushing it a bit. It might be better if we used the Bose for vocals alone, then? How does the bottom end sound?

If anyone else here has used, or is using, a similar set-up, can you please chime in? I'd be really interested to hear your experiences with it.

Once in a while, I sit in with my buddy for his church gigs. They run the whole service through 2 Bose sticks - don't knot the details, but the ones with the little mixers & Eq and stuff. Anyway, Roland Electric drums, Electric Guitar, bass, keys, a couple vocals, not to mention the sermon and some video stuff. A couple hundred people in half a high school gymnasium.

They sound really good in that setting, but I can't imagine thumping a nightclub with them - I don't care if you had 100 of them - just a different beast.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived